Galectin-3 gene (LGALS3) +292C allele is a genetic predisposition factor for rheumatoid arthritis in Taiwan
- 309 Downloads
Galectin-3 is a beta-galactoside-binding lectin which is involved in modulating inflammation and apoptosis. Elevated expression of galectin-3 has been demonstrated in synovium of rheumatoid arthritis (RA). The aim of our study is to investigate the genetic polymorphisms of galectin-3 in association with RA. Polymorphisms of galectin-3 gene (LGALS3) were compared between 151 RA patients and 182 healthy subjects in Taiwan. Variants at two LGALS3 single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) sites (rs4644 and rs4652, corresponding to LAGLS3 +191 and +292) were genotyped by polymerase chain reaction (PCR) followed by restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP) and sequence-specific oligonucleotide probe hybridization, respectively. The allelic carriage of LGALS3 +292C was increased in patients with RA (66.9% in RA vs. 52.7% in controls, odds ratio = 1.8, 95% confidence interval = 1.2–2.8, p = 0.009). These results implicate that the genetic polymorphisms in galectin-3 gene may contribute to development of RA.
KeywordsGalectin-3 Genetic polymorphism Rheumatoid arthritis
This study was supported by grants from the National Science Council (NSC-94-2320-B-002-085), National Taiwan University Hospital (VN 9801), and National Health Research Institute (NHRI-EX95-9532SI), Taiwan. Polyclonal galectin-3 antibodies used in detecting serum galectin-3 were kindly provided by Dr. Liu FT.
- 2.Sato S, St-Pierre C, Bhaumik P, Nieminen J (2009) Galectins in innate immunity: dual functions of host soluble beta-galactoside-binding lectins as damage-associated molecular patterns (DAMPs) and as receptors for pathogen-associated molecular patterns (PAMPs). Immunol Rev 230(1):172–187PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Colnot C, Sidhu SS, Poirier F, Balmain N (1999) Cellular and subcellular distribution of galectin-3 in the epiphyseal cartilage and bone of fetal and neonatal mice. Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand) 45(8):1191–1202Google Scholar
- 26.Shou J, Bull CM, Li L, Qian HR, Wei T, Luo S, Perkins D, Solenberg PJ, Tan SL, Chen XY, Roehm NW, Wolos JA, Onyia JE (2006) Identification of blood biomarkers of rheumatoid arthritis by transcript profiling of peripheral blood mononuclear cells from the rat collagen-induced arthritis model. Arthritis Res Ther 8(1):R28PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Filer A, Bik M, Parsonage GN, Fitton J, Trebilcock E, Howlett K, Cook M, Raza K, Simmons DL, Thomas AM, Salmon M, Scheel-Toellner D, Lord JM, Rabinovich GA, Buckley CD (2009) Galectin 3 induces a distinctive pattern of cytokine and chemokine production in rheumatoid synovial fibroblasts via selective signaling pathways. Arthritis Rheum 60(6):1604–1614PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Wang CR, Shiau AL, Chen SY, Cheng ZS, Li YT, Lee CH, Yo YT, Lo CW, Lin YS, Juan HY, Chen YL, Wu CL (2010) Intra-articular lentivirus-mediated delivery of galectin-3 shRNA and galectin-1 gene ameliorates collagen-induced arthritis. Gene Ther 17:1225–1233. doi: 10.1038/gt.2010.78 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar