Orbital Wegener’s granulomatosis: a case report and review of the literature
Wegener’s granulomatosis (WG) is a multisystem granulomatous, necrotizing vasculitis of presumed autoimmune origin that affects small- to medium-sized blood vessels. The respiratory tract and kidneys are typically involved (Gross and Reinhold-Keller, “Clinical features of primary ANCA-associated vasculitis” in Oxford textbook of rheumatology, third edition, 2004). The limited form usually involves the head and neck, lacks renal involvement, and may not progress to generalized disease (Cassan et al., Am. J. Med. 49:366–379, 1970). Ocular involvement, which may be the initial manifestation, is often encountered and can result in significant morbidity and possibly blindness (Pakrou et al., Semin. Arthritis Rheum. 35:284–292, 2006). We report an unusual case of WG presenting as an orbital mass. The diagnostic triad of granulomatous inflammation with multinucleated giant cells, vasculitis, and necrosis was discovered on histopathology (McDonald and Edwards, JAMA 173:1205–1209, 1960).
KeywordsEye Ocular Ophthalmic Orbital Vasculitis Wegener’s granulomatosis
- 1.Gross W, Reinhold-Keller E (2004) Clinical features of primary ANCA-associated vasculitis. In: Isenberg D, Maddison P, Woo P, Glass D, Breedveld F (eds) Oxford textbook of rheumatology, 3rd edn (0198509480). Oxford University Press, Oxford. R2 Online Library: http://www.R2Library.com/marc_frame.aspx?ResourceID=193 Oxford. Accessed 01 January 2004
- 4.McDonald J, Edwards R (1960) “Wegener’s granulomatosis”: a triad. JAMA 173:1205–1209Google Scholar
- 5.Stone J. Wegener Granulomatosis. In: Imboden J, Hellmann D, Stone J (2007) Wegener current rheumatology diagnosis and treatment, 2nd edn (0071460403). American Academy of Pediatrics, Evanston, IL. R2 Online Library: http://www.R2Library.com/marc_frame.aspx?ResourceID=373. Accessed 01 January 2007
- 8.Bullen CL, Liesgang TJ, McDonald TJ, DeRemee RA (1993) Ocular complications of Wegener’s granulomatosis. Q J Med 90:270–290Google Scholar
- 14.Jane D, Rasmussen N, Andrassy K, Bacon P, Tervaert JW, Dadoniene J, European Vasculitis Study Group et al (2003) A randomized trial of maintenance therapy for vasculitis associated with antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies. N Engl J Med 349:35–44Google Scholar