The coded functions of noncoding RNAs for gene regulation
- 309 Downloads
For eukaryotes, fine tuning of gene expression is necessary to coordinate complex genetic information. Recent studies have shown that noncoding RNAs (ncRNAs) play central roles in this process. For example, ncRNAs participate in multiple diverse functions such as mRNA degradation, epigenetic regulation and alternative splicing. The findings regarding this new player in gene regulation suggest that the mechanism of gene regulation is much more complicated and subtle than previously thought. In this review, new findings concerning the role of ncRNAs in gene regulation are discussed.
Keywordschromatin gene regulation RNA
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Erhardt, S., Su, I.H., Schneider, R., Barton, S., Bannister, A.J., Perez-Burgos, L., Jenuwein, T., Kouzarides, T., Tarakhovsky, A., and Surani, M.A. (2003). Consequences of the depletion of zygotic and embryonic enhancer of zeste 2 during preimplantation mouse development. Development 130, 4235–4248.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ji, P., Diederichs, S., Wang, W., Boing, S., Metzger, R., Schneider, P.M., Tidow, N., Brandt, B., Buerger, H., Bulk, E., et al. (2003). MALAT-1, a novel noncoding RNA, and thymosin beta4 predict metastasis and survival in early-stage non-small cell lung cancer. Oncogene 22, 8031–8041.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kuramochi-Miyagawa, S., Watanabe, T., Gotoh, K., Totoki, Y., Toyoda, A., Ikawa, M., Asada, N., Kojima, K., Yamaguchi, Y., Ijiri, T. W., et al. (2008). DNA methylation of retrotransposon genes is regulated by Piwi family members MILI and MIWI2 in murine fetal testes. Genes Dev. 22, 908–917.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Silva, J., Mak, W., Zvetkova, I., Appanah, R., Nesterova, T.B., Webster, Z., Peters, A.H., Jenuwein, T., Otte, A.P., and Brockdorff, N. (2003). Establishment of histone h3 methylation on the inactive X chromosome requires transient recruitment of Eed-Enx1 polycomb group complexes. Dev. Cell 4, 481–495.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tripathi, V., Ellis, J.D., Shen, Z., Song, D.Y., Pan, Q., Watt, A.T., Freier, S.M., Bennett, C.F., Sharma, A., Bubulya, P.A., et al. (2010). The nuclear-retained noncoding RNA MALAT1 regulates alternative splicing by modulating SR splicing factor phosphorylation. Mol. Cell 39, 925–938.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Unhavaithaya, Y., Hao, Y., Beyret, E., Yin, H., Kuramochi-Miyagawa, S., Nakano, T., and Lin, H. (2009). MILI, a PIWI-interacting RNA-binding protein, is required for germ line stem cell self-renewal and appears to positively regulate translation. J. Biol. Chem. 284, 6507–6519.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar