Engineering of flavonoid O-methyltransferase for a novel regioselectivity
- 221 Downloads
An O-methyltransferase isolated from poplar, POMT7, was identified as a flavone 7-O-methyltransferase. In order to generate a mutant of POMT-7 having a novel regioselectivity, we conducted an error-prone polymerase chain reaction. More than 100 mutants were screened and one of the mutants (POMT-M1) Asp257Gly, methylated the 3-hydroxyl group of flavonols in addition to 7-hydrdoxyl group. The mutation changed asparagine residue at the position of 257 into glycine. The kinetic parameters showed that the wild type POMT7 was better activity toward kaempferol and quercetin than the POMT7-M1. Using E. coli transformant expressing POMT7-M1, 58 μM of 3, 7-O-dimethylquercetin and 70 μM of 3, 7-O-dimethylkaempferol from 100 μM of corresponding substrate were synthesized successfully.
Keywordsflavonoid O-methyltransferase regioselectivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Croteau, R., Kutchan, T.M., and Lewis, N.G. (2000). Natural products (secondary metabolites). In Biochemistry & Molecular Biology of Plant, B.B. Buchanan, W. Gruissem, R.L. Jones eds. (Rockville, USA: American Society of Plant Physiologists), pp. 1250–1318.Google Scholar
- Deavours, B.E., Liu, C.-J., Naoumkina, M.A., Tang, Y., Farag, M.A., Sumner, L.W., Noel, J.P., and Dixon, R.A. (2006). Functional analysis of members of the isoflavone and isoflavanone Omethyltransferase enzyme families from the model legume Medicago truncatula. Plant Mol. Biol. 62, 715–733.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kim, B.G., Kim, H., Hur, H.G., Lim, Y., and Ahn, J.-H. (2006b). Regioselectivity of 7-O-methyltransferase of poplar to flavones. J. Biotech. 138, 155–162.Google Scholar
- Passamonti, S., Terdoslavich, M., Franca, R., Vanzo, A., Tramer, F., Braidor, E., Petrussa, E., and Vianello, A. (2009). Bioavailability of flavonoids: a review of their membrane transport and the function of bilitranslocase in animal and plant organisms. Curr. Drug. Metab. 10, 369–394.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Yoon, Y., Yi, Y.S., Lee, Y., Kim, S., Kim, B.G., Ahn, J.-H., Lim, Y. (2005). Characterization of O-methyltransferase ScOMT1 cloned from Streptomyces coelicolor A3(2). Biophys. Biochem. Acta 1730, 85–95.Google Scholar