Local curve pattern for content-based image retrieval
- 176 Downloads
Local binary pattern (LBP) is an effective image descriptor that is being used in various computer vision applications such as detection of faces, object classification, target detection, image retrieval etc., Since its success, different versions of LBP have been proposed to overcome its limitations. These techniques derive the pattern from the predefined set of image pixels which restrict the amount of information captured by them. In this work, a new approach is proposed in which the image pixels used to derive the pattern is selected based on the image characteristics. This technique uses image line/curve characteristics to derive the local pattern which we call it as local curve pattern. The line and curve characteristics are considered since they are the dominant components of an image and are used to represent the image effectively. The proposed method is evaluated using three different databases (viz Corel 1K, Corel 10K and Brodatz), and experimental result shows that the proposed method performs better than the conventional local pattern techniques.
KeywordsLocal binary pattern Local curve pattern Image retrieval
The authors are very much thankful to the editor and anonymous reviewers for their valuable comments, suggestions and other directions to improve the quality of this manuscript. Also, authors thank the management of Sathyabama University and Adhiparasakthi engineering college for their constant support and motivation.
- 20.Takala V, Ahonen T, Pietikäinen M (2005) Block-based methods for image retrieval using local binary patterns. In: Kalviainen H, Parkkinen J, Kaarna A (eds) Image analysis volume 3540 of the series Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer, Berlin, pp 882–891Google Scholar
- 31.Krizhevsky A, Sutskever I, Hinton G (2012) ImageNet classification with deep convolutional neural networks. In: Proceedings of advances in neural information processing systems, vol 25, pp 1090–1098Google Scholar
- 32.Chen AT-Y et al. (2017) Convolutional neural network acceleration with hardware/software co-design. Appl Intell 48(5):1288–1301Google Scholar
- 33.Xi M et al (2016) Local binary pattern network: a deep learning approach for face recognition. In: Image processing (ICIP), September 2016Google Scholar
- 53.Pei W-J, Zhang Y-L, Zhang Y, Zheng C-H (2014) Pedestrian detection based on HOG and LBP. In: Huang DS, Bevilacqua V, Premaratne P (eds) Intelligent computing theory, volume 8588 of the series Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer, Cham, pp 715–720Google Scholar
- 57.Corel 1K database from http://wang.ist.psu.edu/docs/home.shtml#download. Accessed Mar 2017
- 58.Corel 10K database from https://sites.google.com/site/dctresearch/Home/content-based-image-retrieval. Accessed Mar 2017
- 59.Brodatz database http://multibandtexture.recherche.usherbrooke.ca/original_brodatz.html. Accessed Mar 2017
- 60.Dubey SR, Singh SK, Singh RK (2015) Boosting local binary pattern with bag-of-filters for content based image retrieval. In: IEEE UP section conference on electrical computer and electronics (UPCON), December 2015Google Scholar