Phase imaging based on modified transport of intensity equation using liquid crystal variable retarder with partial coherent illumination
In this paper, we demonstrate a non-interferometric phase imaging technique based on modified transport of intensity equation (TIE) through a liquid crystal variable retarder (LCVR) and partial coherent illumination. The LCVR has been used in pure phase shifter configuration for creating refractive index variation. The modified TIE eliminates the need of mechanical displacement of camera or object, since it needs recording of only two intensity images with different refractive indices. A light-emitting diode (LED) has been used as a light source to avoid the usual speckle problems in coherent imaging. Although LCVR is a versatile device, its application towards phase recovery is less studied. The applicability of the method has been demonstrated through imaging a USAF resolution chart, ultra-violet glue drop, micro-lens, and onion’s peel. The result of onion’s peel has also been compared with a commercial bright-field microscope.
KeywordsPhase imaging Liquid crystal variable retarder Transport of intensity equation LED illumination
Mr. Rouchin Mahendra from IRDE Dehradun, India is acknowledged for providing micro-lens array.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
There is no conflict of interest.
- 1.Goodman, J.W.: Introduction to Fourier Optics. Roberts and Company Publishers, Colardo, USA (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Kim, M.K.: Principles and techniques of digital holographic microscopy. SPIE Rev. 1, 018005 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Nishchal, N.K., Joseph, J., Singh, K.: Full phase encryption using digital holography. Opt. Eng. 43, 2656–2966 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Schnars, U., Juptner, W.: Digital recording and numerical reconstruction of holograms. Inst. Phys. Publ. 13, R85–R101 (2002)Google Scholar
- 16.Nguyen, T., Nehmetallah, G.: Non-interferometric tomography of phase objects using spatial light modulators. J. Imaging 2, 1–16 (2016)Google Scholar
- 21.Ferraro, P., Wax, A., Zalevsky, Z. (eds.): Coherent Light Microscopy. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)Google Scholar
- 31.Komuro, K., Nomura, T., Yamazaki, Y.: Transport of intensity phase imaging for pure phase objects in computational ghost imaging. Proc. SPIE 10816, 108160G (2018)Google Scholar
- 39.Gupta, A.K., Fatima, A., Nishchal, N.K.: Phase imaging based on transport of intensity equation using liquid crystal variable waveplate. In: Digital Holography and Three-dimensional Imaging, OSA Technical Digest, paper M5B.4 (2019)Google Scholar
- 42.Gupta, A.K., Nishchal, N.K.: Phase characterisation of liquid crystal spatial light modulator. In: 3rd International Conference on Microwave and Photonics (ICMAP), pp. 1–2, Dhanbad (2018) Google Scholar