A New Method of Solving Multimode Coupled Equations for Analysis of Uniform and Non-Uniform Fiber Bragg Gratings and Its Application to Acoustically Induced Superstructure Modulation
- 94 Downloads
A new and simple mathematical formulation that is employed to analyze numerically coupled-mode equations modeling uniform and non-uniform gratings in optical fiber is investigated. This method would be straightforward and thus beneficial to solve multimode coupled equations in comparison with a previously used fundamental matrix method, and the Runge--Kutta algorithm. The new formulation proposed in this study is applied to calculate transmission and reflection spectra of core mode and higher-order cladding modes of acoustically induced superstructure modulation caused by microbending through fiber Bragg gratings (FBGs). Co-directional and contra-directional couplings based on acoustically induced modulation in FBGs have been discussed for a variety of induced coupling coefficients.
Key wordsfiber Bragg grating (FBG) acoustically induced microbending coupled-mode theory n × n coefficient matrix similarity transformation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.5) H. Kogelnik: in Theory of Optical Waveguides in Guided-Wave Optoelectronics, ed. T. Tamir (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1990) p. 77.Google Scholar
- 6.6) F. Abrishamian, Y. Nakai, S. Sato and M. Imai: to be published in Special Issue of Int. J. Microwave Opt. Technol. (2005).Google Scholar
- 7.7) W. H. Press, S. A. Teukolsky, W. T. Wetterling and B. P. Flannery: Numerical Recipes in C++: The Art of Scientific Computing (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2002) 2nd ed., p. 461.Google Scholar
- 11.11) F. Abrishamian, Y. Nakai, S. Sato and M. Imai: Tech. Dig. 10th Optoelectronics and Communications Conf., Seoul, 2005, 7P-065.Google Scholar
- 13.13) F. Abrishamian, Y. Nakai, S. Sato and M. Imai: Tech. Rep. IEICE, OCS2004-70, OFT2004-33 (2004) p. 13.Google Scholar
- 14.14) T. Lin, Y. Furuumi, M. Imai, Y. Tsuji and M. Koshiba: Trans. IEICE Electron. J82-C-I (1999) 587 [in Japanese].Google Scholar