An interview with C.V. Theis
Profile of Eminent Hydrogeologists
- 181 Downloads
Every serious hydrogeologist is aware of the Theis Equation. I was fortunate enough to have known C.V. Theis—“C.V.” to his friends (Fig. 1). I interviewed him in December 1985 for the video that is being included on the International Association of Hydrogeologists’ (IAH) Time Capsule website (IAH 2007). It is my intent, in this article, to provide background comments for the website interview. For those interested, White and Clebsch ( 1994) provide a biography of Theis.
KeywordsProfiles History of hydrogeology
- Anderson MP (1989) C.V. Theis and heterogeneity. In: Moore JE, Zaporozec AA, Csallany SC, Varney TC (eds) Recent advances in ground-water hydrology. 1st C.V. Theis Symposium, American Institute of Hydrology Conference, November 1988, Tampa, FL, pp 14–16Google Scholar
- Clebsch A (ed) (1994) Selected contributions to ground-water hydrology by C.V. Theis, and a review of his life and work. US Geol Surv Water Suppl Pap 2415, 2nd printing with corrections, 70 ppGoogle Scholar
- IAH (International Association of Hydrogeologists) (2007) Hydrogeologist time capsule. http://timecapsule.iah.org.
- Jacob CE (1940) On the flow of water in an elastic artesian aquifer. Trans Am Geophys Union 21:574–586Google Scholar
- McGlauflin AC (1935) Who’s who in American art, vol 1. The American Federation of Arts. Washington, DC, 1936–37, pp 419–420Google Scholar
- Theis CV (1935) The relation between the lowering of the piezometric surface and the rate and duration of discharge of a well using ground water storage. Trans Am Geophys Union Part 2, 16:519–524Google Scholar
- Theis CV (1940) The source of water derived from wells: essential factors controlling the response of an aquifer to development. Civil Eng 10(5):277–280Google Scholar
- Theis CV (1963) Hydrologic phenomena affecting the use of tracers in timing groundwater flow, in Radioisotopes in Hydrology. In: Proceedings of the Symposium on the Application of Radioisotopes in Hydrology, Tokyo, March 1963, IAEA STI/PUB/71 Proceedings Series, IAEA, Vienna, pp 193–206Google Scholar
- Wenzel LK (1942) Methods for determining permeability of water bearing materials. US Geol Surv Water Suppl Pap 887, 192 ppGoogle Scholar
- White RA, Clebsch A (1994) Selected contributions to ground-water hydrology by C.V. Theis, and a review of his life and work. US Geol Surv Water Suppl Pap 2415Google Scholar
© Springer-Verlag 2007