Future management of aquifer recharge
- 4.2k Downloads
Management of aquifer recharge (MAR) often provides the cheapest form of new safe water supply for towns and small communities. In spite of a sound knowledge base (e.g. Peters 1998; Bouwer 2002; Dillon 2002), uptake to date has tended to be localised and geographic expansion has been limited by lack of understanding of hydrogeology and/or knowledge of MAR. With training and demonstration projects MAR has potential to be a major contributor to the UN Millennium Goal for Water Supply especially for village supplies in semi-arid and arid areas.
The sustainable water treatment capacity of aquifers is often under-estimated and new knowledge is needed to define the extent to which aquifer treatment can be relied upon within a risk management framework. In cities with organised drainage and sewerage systems, the capacity for indirect reuse of stormwater and reclaimed water via aquifer storage for potable and/or irrigation supplies is significant. Where informal urban systems...
KeywordsArtificial recharge Groundwater Water banking Sustainable underground storage
- Bouwer H (2002) Artificial recharge of groundwater: hydrogeology and engineering. Hydrogeol J 10:121–142Google Scholar
- Cisneros BJ, Ordonez JEB (1999) The Mezquital valley aquifer recharge due to massive reuse of municipal wastewater for agricultural irrigation. In: Proceedings of 9th Biennial Symposium on Artificial Recharge of Groundwater, Tempe, AZ, 10–12 June 1999, pp 15–24Google Scholar
- Dillon PJ (ed) (2002) Management of aquifer recharge for sustainability. In: Proceedings of 4th International Symposium on Artificial Recharge. Balkema Publishers, AAGoogle Scholar
- Mills WR (2002) The quest for water through artificial recharge and wastewater recycling.Dillon PJ (ed) In: Management of aquifer recharge for sustainability. Balkema Publishers, AA, pp 3–10Google Scholar
- Peters J (ed) (1998) Artificial recharge of groundwater. In: Proceedings of 3rd International Symposium on Artificial Recharge of Groundwater. Balkema Publishers, Amsterdam AAGoogle Scholar
- Tuinhof A, Heederik JP (eds) (2003) Management of aquifer recharge and subsurface storage. Netherlands National Committee—International Association of Hydrogeology, No. 4. NNC-IAH PublicationGoogle Scholar