Athermal shearing of frictionless cross-shaped particles of varying aspect ratio
- 11 Downloads
We use numerical simulations to study the shear-driven steady-state flow of athermal, frictionless, overdamped, two dimensional cross-shaped particles of varying aspect ratios, and make comparison with the behavior of rod-shaped and staple-shaped particles. We find that the extent of non-convexity of the particle shape plays an important role in determining both the value of the jamming packing fraction as well as the rotational motion and orientational ordering of the particles.
KeywordsJamming Rheology Shearing Aspherical particles Orientational order
This article is dedicated to the memory of Robert Behringer, who was much interested in the jamming of crosses, stars, and other oddly shaped granular particles. We thank an anonymous reviewer for several helpful and interesting comments. This work was supported in part by National Science Foundation Grants CBET-1435861 and DMR-1809318. Computations were carried out at the Center for Integrated Research Computing at the University of Rochester.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interests.
- 7.Zheng, H., Wang, D., Barés, J., Behringer, R.: Jamming by compressing a system of crosses. EPJ Web Conf. 140, 06014 (2017)Google Scholar
- 10.Marschall, T.A., Franklin, S.V., Teitel, S.: Compression- and shear-driven jamming of U-shaped particles in two dimensions. Granul. Matter 17, 121 (2015)Google Scholar
- 13.Marschall, T., Van Hoesen, D., Teitel, S.: Shear-driven flow of athermal, frictionless, spherocylinder suspensions in two dimensions: orientational ordering and spatial correlations. arXiv:1909.08669
- 20.Wouterse, A., Williams, S.R., Philipse, A.P.: Effect of particle shape on the density and microstructure of random packings. J. Phys. Condens. Matter 19, 406215 (2007)Google Scholar
- 38.Vinutha, H.A., Sastry, S.: Disentangling the role of structure and friction in shear jamming. Nat. Phys. 12, 578 (2016)Google Scholar
- 43.Cundall, P.A., Strack, O.: A discrete numerical model for granular assemblies. Geotechnique 29, 47 (1979)Google Scholar