PFC/FLAC coupled simulation of dynamic compaction in granular soils
- 49 Downloads
This paper presents the PFC/FLAC coupled method to simultaneously reveal the macro- and micro-mechanisms of granular soils during dynamic compaction. A good agreement was found between the numerical simulation and model test. By analyzing the soil displacement field, motion of tracer particles, and evolution of local porosity, the dynamic densification process of granular soils was reproduced. The results show that soil deformations under dynamic compaction can be divided into two modes: the punching deformation caused by the wedging effect of a conical core based on the bearing capacity mechanism, and the compaction deformation induced by the propagation of dynamic waves based on the densification mechanism. The dynamic compaction process is composed of two phases: compaction because of the transient impact and compaction because of the vibration of soil particles.
KeywordsDynamic compaction PFC/FLAC coupled analysis Dynamic response Densification mechanism
The authors thank the NSFC for the financial support of the first author (Grant number 40972214). Furthermore, the authors would like to thank the reviewers and Prof. Mingjing Jiang for their constructive comments and suggestions that contribute to improve the quality of this paper.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
We declare that we do not have any commercial or associative interest that represents a conflict of interest in connection with the work submitted.
- 3.Leonards, G.A., Cutter, W.A., Holtz, R.D.: Dynamic compaction of granular soils. J. Geotech. Eng. Div. ASCE 106(1), 35–44 (1980)Google Scholar
- 5.Ramaswamy, S.D., Aziz, M.A., Subrahamanyam, R.V., Abdulkhader, M.H., Lee, S.L.: Treatment of peaty clay by high-energy impact. J. Geotech. Eng. 105(8), 957–967 (1979)Google Scholar
- 7.Slocombe, B.C., Moseley, M.P.: TN7. Experience with Dynamic Compaction on Derelict Sites, pp. 799–806. Thomas Telford, London (1987)Google Scholar
- 12.Nazhat, Y., Airey, D.: Applications of high speed photography and X-ray computerised tomography (Micro CT) in dynamic compaction tests. In: International Symposium on Deformation Characteristics of Geomaterials. Seoul, Korea, 1–3 September, pp. 421–427 (2011)Google Scholar
- 15.Chow, Y.K., Yong, D.M., Yong, K.Y., et al.: Monitoring of dynamic compaction by deceleration measurements. Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci. Geomech. Abstr. 10(3), 189–209 (1990)Google Scholar
- 19.Yulek, M.: Dynamic compaction of a thin subgrade layer overlying weak deposit. Masters thesis, Concordia University (2006)Google Scholar
- 21.Bradley, A., Jaksa, M.B., Kuo, Y.L., et al.: A finite element model for heavy tamping on dry sand. Eur. Conf. Soil Mech. Geotech. Eng. 3, 1377–1382 (2015)Google Scholar
- 22.Pourjenabi, M., Ghanbari, E., Hamidi, A.: Numerical model of dynamic compaction in dry sand using different constitutive models. In: 4th ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on Computational Methods in Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Kos Island, Greece, 12–14 June (2013)Google Scholar
- 29.Jiang, M.J., Wu, D., Xi, B.: DEM simulation of dynamic compaction with different tamping energy and calibrated damping parameters. In: Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Discrete Element Methods, Dalian, China, 1–4 August, pp. 845–851 (2016)Google Scholar
- 34.Jin, W.F., Zhou, J.: Two-scale coupled simulation of tunnel-soil vibrations under train excitation. Chin. J. Rock Mechan. Eng. 30(5), 1016–1024 (2011)Google Scholar
- 35.Itasca Consulting Group: Particle Flow Code in 2 Dimensions version 4.0, User’s manual, ITASCA Consulting Group, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USAGoogle Scholar
- 36.Itasca Consulting Group: Fast Lagrangrian Analysis of Continua (FLAC) user’s guide, Version 5.00, user’s manual. ITASCA Consulting Group Minneapolis, Minnesota, USAGoogle Scholar
- 38.Feng, Z.Y., Lo, C.M., Lin, Q.F.: The characteristics of the seismic signals induced by landslides using a coupling of discrete element and finite difference methods. Landslides 14(2), 1–14 (2016)Google Scholar
- 39.Jia, M.C., Wang, L., Zhou, J.: Meso-mechanical analysis of characteristics of dry sands in response to dynamic compaction with PFC2D. Rock & Soil Mech. 30(4), 871–878 (2009)Google Scholar