Plane wave propagation in 2D and 3D monodisperse periodic granular media
- 416 Downloads
Plane wave propagation in periodic ordered granular media comprising of elastic spherical particles is investigated. The spheres are under zero precompression and are assumed to interact via the Hertzian contact potential. Various two- and three-dimensional granular structures such as hexagonal packing (2D and 3D), face-centered cubic and body-centered cubic packings are considered in the present study, with the plane impact either normal or oblique to the granular system. For the normal impact case, 1D chains equivalent to the 2D and 3D structures are obtained. A universal relation between the wavefront speed and the force amplitude is derived, valid for all the granular structures studied. In the angular impact case, the shear component of the amplitude of the particle velocity is found to initially decay exponentially and further in a series of linear regimes. By employing simpler models, semi-analytical predictions are obtained for the decay of shearing effect.
KeywordsGranular media Plane wave propagation Hertzian contact Solitary wave
The authors thank the US Army Research Office (ARO) for the financial support through the Multi-University Research Initiative Contract Number W911NF-09-1-0436 (Program manager: Dr. David Stepp).
- 7.Spadoni, A., Daraio, C.: Generation and control of sound bullets with a nonlinear acoustic lens. P. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 107(16), 7230 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Nakagawa, M., Agui, J. H., Wu, D.T., Extramiana, D. V.: Impulse dispersion in a tapered granular chain. Granular Matter. 4(4), 167–174 (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Jayaprakash, K., Starosvetsky, Y., Vakakis, A.F.: New family of solitary waves in granular dimer chains with no precompression. Phys. Rev. E. 83(3), 036606 (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Job, S., Santibanez, F., Tapia, F., Melo, F.: Wave localization in strongly nonlinear Hertzian chains with mass defect. Phys. Rev. E. 80(2), 025602 (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Manciu, M., Sen, S., Hurd, A.: Impulse propagation in dissipative and disordered chains with power-law repulsive potentials. Physica D. 157(3), 226 (2001) Google Scholar
- 17.Manjunath, M., Awasthi, A.P., Geubelle, P.H.: Wave propagation in random granular chains. Phys. Rev. E. 85, 031308 (2012)Google Scholar
- 18.Shukla, A., Damania, C.: Experimental investigations of wave velocity and dynamic contact stresses in an assembly of disks. Exp. Mech. 27(3), 268 (1987)Google Scholar
- 19.Shukla, A.: Dynamic photoelastic studies of wave propagation in granular media. Opt. Laser. Eng. 14(3), 165 (1991)Google Scholar
- 24.Bourrier, F., Nicot, F., Darve, F.: Physical processes within a 2D granular layer during an impact. Granular Matter. 10(6), 415–437 (2008)Google Scholar
- 25.Mouraille, O., Luding, S.: Sound wave propagation in weakly polydisperse granular materials. Ultrasonics. 48(6), 498–505 (2008)Google Scholar
- 26.Chang, C.S., Gao, J.: Non-linear dispersion of plane wave in granular media. Int. J. Nonlin. Mech. 30(2), 111 (1995)Google Scholar