Redefining the DCT-based feature for scene text detection
- 248 Downloads
We analyze some spatial frequency-based features used for text region detection in natural scene images, and redefine the DCT-based feature. We employ Fisher’s discriminant analysis to improve the DCT-based feature and to achieve higher accuracy. An unsupervised thresholding method for discriminating text and non-text regions is introduced and tested as well. Experimental results show that a wide high frequency band, covering some lower-middle frequency components, is generally more suitable for scene text detection despite the original definition of the DCT-based feature.
KeywordsScene text Text region detection Discrete cosine transform Fisher’s discriminant analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Fisher, R.A.: The use of multiple measurements in taxonomic problems. Ann. Eugen. 7, 179–188 (1936)Google Scholar
- 3.Gllavata, J., Ewerth, R., Freisleben, B.: Text detection in images based on unsupervised classification of high-frequency wavelet coefficients. In: Proceedings of 17th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, vol. 1, pp. 425–428 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Kim, K.C., Byun, H.R., Song, Y.J., Choi, Y.W., Chi, S.Y., Kim, K.K., Chung, Y.K.: Scene text extraction in natural scene images using hierarchical feature combining and verification. In: Proceedings of 17th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, vol. 2, pp. 679–682 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Lim, Y.K., Choi, S.H., Lee, S.W.: Text extraction in MPEG compressed video for content-based indexing. In: Proceedings of 15th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, vol. 4, pp. 409–412 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Lucas, S.M., Panaretos, A., Sosa, L., Tang, A., Wong, S., Young, R.: ICDAR 2003 robust reading competitions. In: Proceedings of 7th International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition (ICDAR 2003), vol. II, pp.682–687 (2003)Google Scholar