Why I prefer TAPP repair for uncomplicated unilateral groin hernia in adults
- 40 Downloads
My first choice of repair of an uncomplicated unilateral groin hernia of an adult person is the transabdominal preperitoneal patch technique—TAPP. Over the past 27 years, since I have started this minimal invasive repair, my conviction in making this choice became stronger and stronger, being nourished by the very good clinical outcomes and high patient’s satisfaction. Based on my personal experience TAPP is the logic of groin hernia repair .
To understand the arguments and reasons for this evolutional process we have to flashback about three decades. Gold standard was then the pure tissue repair, at its best the Shouldice repair. Wound healing complications belonged to surgery, acute postoperative pain too and chronic pain was not “discovered” yet. Recurrence rates from 16 to 20% were normal, 6 weeks lifting restriction to 5 kg led to incapacity for work of 6–8 weeks. Prosthetic materials were introduced to reinforce the repair (e.g. Acquaviva, Usher, Stoppa, Lichtenstein) and to...
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The author declares no conflict of interest.
Approval from institutional board was not required for this communication.
Human and animal rights
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals.
For this retrospective review formal consent is not required.
- 4.Kukleta JF (2010) TAPP—the logic of hernia repair. Le Journal de Coelio-chirugie 76:14–20Google Scholar
- 5.Simons MP, Aufenacker T, Bay-Nielsen M, Bouillot JL, Campanelli G, Conze J, de Lange D, Fortelny R, Heikkinen T, Kingsnorth A, Kukleta J, Morales-Conde S, Nordin P, Schumpelick V, Smedberg S, Smietanski M, Weber G, Miserez M (2009) European Hernia Society guidelines on the treatment of inguinal hernia in adult patients. Hernia 13:343–403CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Miserez M, Peeters E, Aufenacker T, Bouillot JL, Campanelli G, Conze J, Fortelny R, Heikkinen T, Jorgensen LN, Kukleta J, Morales-Conde S, Nordin P, Schumpelick V, Smedberg S, Smietanski M, Weber G, Simons MP (2014) Update with level 1 studies of the European Hernia Society guidelines on the treatment of inguinal hernia in adult patients. Hernia 18:151–163CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Kukleta JF, Köckerling F, Ferzli G. (2018) Indication for surgical repair of groin hernia. In: Bittner R (eds) Chapter in Laparo-endoscopic Hernia Surgery, pp 37–41. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-662-55493-70 (ISBN 978-3-662-55491-3)
- 10.Kukleta JF (2017) Transabdominal Preperitoneal Patch (TAPP). In: Campanelli G Inguinal Hernia Surgery Chapter 11, pp 101–113. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-88-470-3947-6 (ISBN 978-88-470-3946-9)
- 11.De Beaux AC, Schouten N, Kukleta JF (2018) Occult hernias The HerniaSurge Group. International guidelines for groin hernia management. Chapter 8. Hernia 22:1–165Google Scholar
- 13.Schouten N, Eker H, Bury K, Muysoms F (2018) Groin hernias in women The HerniaSurge Group. International guidelines for groin hernia management, Chapter 16. Hernia 22:1–165Google Scholar
- 19.Wittenbecher F, Scheller-Kreinsen D, Roettger J, Busse R (2013) Comparison of hospital costs and length of stay associated with open-mesh, totally extraperitoneal inguinal hernia repair, and transabdominal preperitoneal inguinal hernia repair: an analysis of observational data using propensity score matching. Surg Endosc 27(4):1326–1333CrossRefGoogle Scholar