Evaluation of task difficulty based on fluctuation characteristics in writing task
- 7 Downloads
Control of voluntary movements is a dual structure of cognitive and physical controls. Cognitive control involves attentional resources, whereas physical control does not. In this study, we evaluated the dependency on attentional resources while learning to perform physical exercises using the relationship between the attentional resources and fluctuations in body movements. The physical exercise to be learned is the process of writing certain Chinese characters by hand. Detrended fluctuation analysis was applied to the analysis of body movement fluctuations in this study. We herein propose an index that qualitatively evaluates fluctuations locally on a timescale and includes a general scaling index on the detrended fluctuation analysis. We investigate and analyze the fluctuation characteristics in the handwriting process of three Kanji characters using this index. Moreover, we examine the relationship among the six handwriting time elements defined in the handwriting process, the handwriting difficulty of the three Kanji characters, and the timescale.
KeywordsHandwriting task Fluctuation One-over-f fluctuation White noise Detrended fluctuation analysis
This work was supported by JSPS KAKENHI Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C) Number 17K00477. The authors would like to thank Enago (www.enago.jp) for the English language review.
- 2.Komatsu T, Miyake Y (2005) Time evolution of asynchronous value in synchronization tapping task (in japanese). SICE 41(6):518–526Google Scholar
- 3.Maleki A, Oshima Y, Nozawa A, Mizuno T, Uchida M (2015) Analysis of fluctuation in repeated handwriting based on psychophysiological factors. In: 7th International Conference on Unsolved Problems on Noise, 21Google Scholar
- 4.Kumagai R, Uchida M (2017) Detrended fluctuation analysis of repetitive handwriting. In: 2017 International Conference on Noise and Fluctuations, pp. 350–353Google Scholar
- 5.Kumagai R, Uchida M (2018) Fluctuation analysis of synchronous repetitive handwriting. In: 8th International Conference on Unsolved Problems on Noise, posterGoogle Scholar
- 7.Hardstone R, Poil S-S, Schiavone G, Jansen R, Nikulin VV, Mansvelder HD, L-Hansen, K (2012) Detrended fluctuation analysis: a scale-free view on neuronal oscillations. Front Physiol 3(450):1–13Google Scholar
- 10.Spielberger Charles D, Gorsuch Richard L, Lushene Robert E (1970) STAI manual for the State-trait anxiety inventory (self-evaluation questionnaire). Consulting Psychologists Press, Washington, D.CGoogle Scholar