Technology for visualizing the local change in shape of edema using a depth camera
- 85 Downloads
The change in the edema condition is visualized considering the three-dimensional shape. Continuous treatment and observation are indispensable for patients with edema. The measurement and evaluation of the three-dimensional shape of the leg are thus important in evaluating edema of the leg. Such an evaluation can confirm the therapeutic effect and assist in the planning of treatment by confirming the change in local capacity. Additionally, the depth camera of Structure Sensor used this study is feasible for use in home care systems due to its very low cost compared with other depth cameras. We obtain a point cloud of the leg and register shape models. We conducted an experiment to measure legs swathed and not swathed in bandages, with the former representing a leg with edema. In addition, for visualization of the edema condition, the change in shape was color coded according to the change obtained in the proposed analysis of the three-dimensional shape. Our experimental results show that our proposed visualization technique is effective in conveying the change in shape visually and clearly.
KeywordsEdema Health monitoring Structure Sensor Point cloud Visualization
We thank Glenn Pennycook, MSc, from Edanz Group (www.edanzediting.com/ac) for editing a draft of this manuscript.
- 2.Ogawa Y (2012) Recent advances in medical treatment for lymphedema. Ann Vasc Dis 5(2):139–144Google Scholar
- 3.Mayrovitz HN, Sims N, Macdonald J (2000) Assessment of limb volume by manual and automated methods in patients with limb edema or lymphedema. Adv Skin Wound Care 13(6):272–276Google Scholar
- 7.Cau N, Corna S, Aspesi V et al (2016) Circumferential versus hand-held laser scanner method for the evaluation of lower limb volumes in normal-weight and obese subjects. J Nov Physiother 6(303):2Google Scholar
- 8.Kiyomitsu K, Kakinuma A, Takahashi H et al (2017) Volume measurement of the leg by using Kinect Fusion for quantitative evaluation of edemas. Bull Soc Photogr Imaging Jpn 27(1):7–12Google Scholar
- 9.Kinect for Windows Sensor (2018) https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/microsoft-robotics/hh438998(v%3dmsdn.10). Accessed 3 Jun 2019
- 10.Structure Sensor (2019) 3D scanning, augmented reality, and more for mobile devices. http://structure.io. Accessed 3 Jun 2019
- 11.Skanect 3D Scanning Software By Occipital (2019) The easiest way to 3D scan with the structure sensor and Kinect-like 3D sensors. https://skanect.occipital.com. Accessed 3 Jun 2019
- 12.Cignoni P, Callieri M, Corsini M et al (2008) MeshLab: an open-source mesh processing tool. In: Eurographics Italian chapter conference, pp 129–136. https://doi.org/10.2312/LocalChapterEvents/ItalChap/ItalianChapConf2008/129-136