A novel method for the modification of LiNi0.8Co0.15Al0.05O2 with high cycle stability and low pH
- 32 Downloads
Ni-rich cathode materials have high specific capacity and low cost, but they also have several drawbacks, such as high pH and poor cycle stability. In this paper, a simple dry-coat method using MnCO3 was adopted to improve the performance of LiNi0.8Co0.15Al0.05O2 (NCA), which is the first report of its kind. The modified NCA showed a capacity of 193 mAh g− 1 and capacity retention of 98.9% at 1 °C rate after 100 cycles, compared to the corresponding values (195 mAh g− 1 and 94.0%) for the pristine NCA. The pH was reduced from 12.19 to 11.69. Moreover, the storage performance in air and thermal stability in the delithiated state were also improved.
KeywordsMnCO3 LiNi0.8Co0.15Al0.05O2 Dry-coat Cycle stability pH
This work was financially supported by the National Key R&D program of China (2016YFB0100500).
- 2.Kojima Y, Muto S, Tatsumi K, Kondo H, Oka H, Horibuchi K, Ukyo Y (2011) Degradation analysis of a Ni-based layered positive-electrode active material cycled at elevated temperatures studied by scanning transmission electron microscopy and electron energy-loss spectroscopy. J Power Sources 196:7721–7727CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Watanabe S, Kinoshita M, Hosokawa T, Morigaki K, Nakura K (2014) Capacity fading of LiAlyNi1−x−yCoxO2 cathode for lithium-ion batteries during accelerated calendar and cycle life tests (effect of depth of discharge in charge-discharge cycling on the suppression of the micro-crack generation of LiAlyNi1−x−yCoxO2 particle). J Power Sources 260:50–56CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Naushad (ed) (2012) Life cycle assessment of wastewater treatment. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, BostonGoogle Scholar
- 16.Sulz CH (1888) A treatise on beverages or the complete practical bottler. Dick & Fitzgerald Publishers, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 18.Ring RJ, Royston D (1973) A review of fluorine cells and fluorine production facilities. Australian Atomic Energy CommissionGoogle Scholar
- 26.Jung SK, Gwon H, Hong J, Park KY, Seo DH, Kim H, Hyun J, Yang W, Kang K (2013) Understanding the degradation mechanisms of LiNi0.5Co0.2Mn0.3O2 cathode material in lithium ion batteries. Adv Energy Mater 1300787Google Scholar