Optimizing incorporation of nickel(II)–cyclam complex in poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene) films for catalytic purposes
- 155 Downloads
Poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiopene) (PEDOT) films, due to their porous and open structure, as well as high stability, were chosen as a membrane for incorporation of Ni(II) ion complexes with 1,4,8,11-tetraazacyclotetradecane (cyclam) or deposition of electroactive films containing polymerized complex. Accumulation of the complex in PEDOT layers and its electrocatalytic activity was studied basing on voltammetric behavior of Ni(II)–cyclam and electroxidation of a model reactant-methanol in alkaline solutions. Several modes of complex incorporation were tested, based on open circuit conditioning or polarization in the presence of nickel ions and cyclam. It was found that the most effective method was incorporation of cyclam in the course of PEDOT electrosynthesis, followed by potentiostatic accumulation of Ni(II) ions. This procedure resulted in around 50 times higher slope of dependence of methanol oxidation current on alcohol concentration than in the absence of PEDOT.
KeywordsNickel(II)–cyclam Poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene) Methanol oxidation Electrocatalysis
The authors are grateful to Dr. M. Wojciechowski for his assistance at mass spectrometry measurements.
Financial support from scientific research funds (Poland) within the research project N204 242234 for years 2008–2011 is gratefully acknowledged.
- 1.Collin JP, Sauvage JP (1987) J Chem Soc Chem Commun 1075–1076Google Scholar
- 2.Beley M, Collin JP, Ruppert R, Sauvage JP (1984) J Chem Soc Chem Commun 1315–1316Google Scholar
- 12.González-Fuentes MA, Manriquez J, Gutiérrez-Granados S, Alatorre-Ordaz A, Godinez LA (2005) Chem Commun 898–900Google Scholar
- 15.Lupu S (2011) Int J Electrochem ID 508126Google Scholar
- 23.Galus Z (1994) Fundamental of electrochemical analysis, Ellis Horwood, PWNGoogle Scholar