Synthesis, characterization, and thermoelectric properties of a conducting copolymer of 1,12-bis(carbazolyl)dodecane and thieno[3,2-b]thiophene
- 427 Downloads
Poly(1,12-bis(carbazolyl)dodecane-co-thieno[3,2-b]thiophene) (P(2Cz-D-co-TT)), a conducting copolymer was synthesized electrochemically by direct anodic oxidation of 1,12-bis(carbazolyl)dodecane (2Cz-D) and thieno[3,2-b]thiophene (TT) in boron trifluoride diethyl ethrate containing 30% (vol) dichloromethane. As-formed copolymers exhibited high redox activity and reversibility and good conductive properties. The emitting property of as-formed copolymer was different from those of respective homopolymers, and could be tuned by changing the initiate monomer feed ratios. Thermoelectric investigations revealed that the electrical conductivities of as-obtained copolymer films were between 0.1 and 0.3 S cm−1 at ambient temperature, lower than that of polythieno[3,2-b]thiophene (PTT) (0.42 S cm−1) but two orders of magnitude higher than that of poly(1,12-bis(carbazolyl)dodecane) (P2Cz-D) (10−3 S cm−1). The Seebeck coefficients and the power factors of the copolymers were improved with different degrees compared with those of PTT and P2Cz-D. As expected, the thermoelectric performance of PTT and P2Cz-D were both improved through copolymerization, which may be beneficial to the exploration and investigation of novel organic thermoelectric materials.
KeywordsConducting polymers Electrochemical copolymerization Thermoelectric material Polythiophene Polycarbazole
NSFC (50963002, 51073074 and 60767001) are acknowledged for their financial supports.
- 3.Yao Q, Chen LD, Zhang WQ, Liufu SC, Chen XH (2010) Nano 4:2445Google Scholar
- 11.Dasaroyong K, Yeonseok K, Kyungwho C, Grunlan JC, Choongho Y (2010) Nano 4:513Google Scholar
- 21.Zhang B, Sun J, Katz HE, Fang F, Opila RL (2010) Appl Mater Interfaces 2:3170Google Scholar
- 23.Natori I, Natori S, Sekikawa H, Takahashi T, Sato H (2010) J Appl Polym Sci 118:69Google Scholar
- 25.Dang XD, Intelmann CM, Rammelt U, Plieth W (2003) J Solid State Electrochem 8:727Google Scholar
- 39.Yue RR, Chen S, Lu BY, Liu CC, Xu JK (2010) J Solid State Electrochem.Google Scholar
- 44.Camurlu P, Şahmetlioğlub E, Şahinc E, Akhmedovd İM, Tanyelid C, Toppare L (2008) Thin Solid Films 516:4139Google Scholar