Electrochromic and structural characteristics of mesoporous WO3 films prepared by a sol-gel method
- 991 Downloads
The preparation of electrochromic films of mesoporous tungsten trioxide from tungstic acid and tungstic hexaethoxide precursors with the addition of an organic stabiliser via a sol-gel method is reported. These films have been structurally characterised and both the film morphology and crystalline composition of the films were found to be significantly dependent on the temperature at which the films were annealed and upon the choice of precursor. Films annealed at lower temperatures consisted of amorphous and hexagonal tungsten trioxide, whereas films annealed above 500 °C comprised solely of monoclinic WO3. The electrochromic activity of the films was found to be equally dependent on method of preparation, and both the composition and the structure of the WO3 films were shown to clearly influence the colouration efficiency of the films.
KeywordsTungsten trioxide Mesoporous film Electrochromism Raman spectroscopy Sol-gel synthesis
This work was supported by the Swiss National Science Foundation and the Swiss Federal Office of Energy.
- 3.Huo Q, Margolese DI, Ciesla U, Demuth DG, Feng P, Gier TE, Sieger P, Firouzi A, Chmelka BF, Schüth F, Stucky GD (1994) Chem Mater 6:1176Google Scholar
- 10.Nonaka K, Takase A, Miyakawa K (1993) J Mater Sci Lett 12:274Google Scholar
- 13.Faughnan BW, Crandall RS, Heyman PM (1975) RCA Rev 36:177Google Scholar
- 14.Djaoued Y, Ashrit PV, Badilescu S, Brüning R (2003) J Sol-Gel Sci Techn 28:235Google Scholar
- 16.Solarska R, Alexander BD, Augustynski J (2004) unpublished resultsGoogle Scholar