Rehabilitation strategies in maxillofacial trauma: systematic review and meta-analysis
- 3 Downloads
This study aims to investigate rehabilitation strategies to reduce trismus, pain, and edema in patients with maxillofacial trauma.
An electronic search in main databases was performed, including studies published until November 2017. Clinical trials aiming to investigate therapeutic techniques to improve mandibular range of motion and to reduce pain and edema compared to other treatments were included.
Nine studies were included in the review with different therapy modalities: photobiomodulation, kinesiologic tape, hilotherapy, jaw exercises, and TENS. Only five studies had available data to be included in a meta-analysis. There were no differences between any of the proposed strategies and its controls to prevent trismus. Individuals treated with hilotherapy presented less pain compared to controls. Kinesiologic tape or hilotherapy reduced edema when compared to controls daily until postoperative day 3.
There is diversity among the proposed rehabilitation techniques, and types of fractures and there are few numbers of included participants in each study. The results obtained in this review do not promote evidence to guide the use of non-drug rehabilitation techniques in patients with maxillofacial trauma after surgical intervention.
KeywordsEdema Maxillofacial injuries Oral rehabilitation Pain Trismus
Juliana Balbinot Hilgert thanks CNPq (Brazilian National Research Council) for her productivity grant.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 2.Mijiti A, Ling W, Tuerdi M, Maimaiti A, Tuerxun J, Tao YZ, Saimaiti A, Moming A (2014) Epidemiological analysis of maxillofacial fractures treated at a university hospital, Xinjiang, China: A 5-year retrospective study. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 42(3):227–233. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcms.2013.05.005 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Jensen T, Jensen J, Nørholt SE, Dahl M, Lenk-Hansen L, Svensson P (2006) Open reduction and rigid internal fixation of mandibular condylar fractures by an intraoral approach: a long-term follow-up study of 15 patients. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 64(12):1771–1779. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2005.12.069 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Seifi M, Ebadifar A, Kabiri S, Badiee MR, Abdolazimi Z, Amdjadi P (2017) Comparative effectiveness of low level laser therapy and transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation on temporomandibular joint disorders. J Lasers Med Sci 8(Suppl 1):S27–S31. https://doi.org/10.15171/jlms.2017.s6 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 12.Higgins JPT, Green S, eds. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.1.0. The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011 [on-line]. Available at www.cochrane-handbook.org.
- 13.Lauriti L, de Cerqueira Luz JG, Agnelli Mesquita-Ferrari R, Fernandes KPS, Deana AM, Tempestini Horliana ACR, Costa-Santos L, Brugnera Junior A, Bussadori SK (2018) Evaluation of the effect of phototherapy in patients with mandibular fracture on mandibular dynamics, pain, edema, and bite force: a pilot study. Photomed Laser Surg 36(1):24–30. https://doi.org/10.1089/pho.2017.4334 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Ristow O, Pautke C, Victoria K, Koerdt S, Schwärzler K, Hahnefeld L, Hohlweg-Majert B (2014) Influence of kinesiologic tape on postoperative swelling, pain and trismus after zygomatico-orbital fractures. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 42(5):469–476. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcms.2013.05.043 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Modabber A, Rana M, Ghassemi A, Gerressen M, Gellrich NC, Hölzle F, Rana M (2013) Three-dimensional evaluation of postoperative swelling in treatment of zygomatic bone fractures using two different cooling therapy methods: a randomized, observer-blind, prospective study. Trials 14:238. https://doi.org/10.1186/1745-6215-14-238 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 16.Ristow O, Hohlweg-Majert B, Kehl V, Koerdt S, Hahnefeld L, Pautke C (2013) Does elastic therapeutic tape reduce postoperative swelling, pain, and trismus after open reduction and internal fixation of mandibular fractures? J Oral Maxillofac Surg 71(8):1387–1396. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2013.03.020 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Rana M, Gellrich NC, von See C, Weiskopf C, Gerressen M, Ghassemi A, Modabber A (2013) 3D evaluation of postoperative swelling in treatment of bilateral mandibular fractures using 2 different cooling therapy methods: a randomized observer blind prospective study. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 41(1):e17–e23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcms.2012.04.002 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.Aras MH, Güngörmüş M (2010) Placebo-controlled randomized clinical trial of the effect two different low-level laser therapies (LLLT)--intraoral and extraoral--on trismus and facial swelling following surgical extraction of the lower third molar. Lasers Med Sci 25(5):641–645. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10103-009-0684-1 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar