Bone response after immediate placement of implants in the anterior maxilla: a systematic review
- 29 Downloads
The objective of this systematic review was to assess the three-dimensional changes in bone tissue after immediate installation of a single implant in a fresh extraction socket in the anterior maxilla.
After defining a strategy, an electronic search was carried out using the databases PubMed, Embase, LILACS, Web of Science, Cochrane, and Scopus. In addition, the gray literature was also researched using Google Scholar and ProQuest. Two reviewers independently screened for eligible studies, assessed the methodological quality, and extracted the data. The inclusion criteria were observational studies and experimental studies that assessed bone response after the immediate installation of a single implant in a fresh extraction socket, immediately loaded or not, in the region between the maxillary canines. Studies were included in any language, with no publication date restrictions and with a minimum of 6 months of follow-up after the surgical procedure.
From a total of 3272 articles, only 12 studies met the inclusion criteria and were selected for the review. Bone remodeling after immediate installation of a dental implant was assessed using standardized periapical radiographs and cone beam computed tomography (CBCT).
It can be concluded that bone remodeling occurs after tooth extraction and immediate implant installation.
KeywordsDental implants Bone remodeling Tooth extraction Maxilla Esthetic area
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
As it is a systematic review, there is no need for ethical approval.
- 5.Wöhrle PS (1998) Single-tooth replacement in the aesthetic zone with immediate provisionalization: fourteen consecutive cases reports. Pract Period Aesthet Dent 10:1107–1114Google Scholar
- 6.Saadoun AP (2002) Immediate implant placement and temporization in extraction and healing sites. Compend Contin Educ Dent 23:309–312Google Scholar
- 7.Evans CDJ, Chen ST (2008) Esthetic outcomes of immediate implant placements. Clin Oral Implants Res 19:73–80Google Scholar
- 9.Kan JY, Rungcharassaeng K, Lozada J (2003) Immediate placement and provisionalization of maxillary anterior single implants: 1-year prospective study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 18:31–39Google Scholar
- 11.Wu MJ, Zhang XH, Zou LD, Liang F (2015) Comparison of soft and hard tissue stability between immediate implant and delayed implant in maxillary anterior region after loading 2 years. Beijing Da Xue Xue Bao 47:67–71Google Scholar
- 12.Kan JY, Rungcharassaeng K, Lozada JL, Zimmerman G (2011) Facial gingival tissue stability following immediate placement and provisionalization of maxillary anterior single implants: a 2- to 8-year follow-up. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 26:179–187Google Scholar
- 15.Wang Y, Lin Y, Chen B, Zhang Y, Di P (2016) Evaluation of alveolar ridge reconstruction and esthetic result following immediate implant. Beijing Da Xue Xue Bao 48:121–125Google Scholar
- 17.De Rouck T, Collys K, Cosyn J (2008) Single-tooth replacement in the anterior maxilla by means of immediate implantation and provisionalization: a review. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 23:897–904Google Scholar
- 22.Wu MJ, Zhang XH, Zou LD, Liang F (2015) Comparison of soft and hard tissue stability between immediate implant and delayed implant in maxillary anterior region after loading 2 years. Beijing Da Xue Xue Bao 47:67–71Google Scholar
- 24.Esposito M, Grusovin MG, Polyzos IP, Felice P, Worthington HV (2010) Timing of implant placement after tooth extraction: immediate, immediate-delayed or delayed implants? A cochrane systematic review. Eur J Oral Implantol 3:189–205Google Scholar
- 25.Grandi T, Guazzi P, Samarani R, Grandi G (2013) Immediate provisionalization of single post-extractive implants versus implants placed in healed sites in the anterior maxilla: 1-year results from a multicentre controlled cohort study. Eur J Oral Implantol 6:285–295Google Scholar
- 28.Schropp L, Kostopoulos L, Wenzel A (2003) Bone healing following immediate versus delayed placement of titanium implants into extraction sockets: a prospective clinical study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 18:189–199Google Scholar
- 31.Malchiodi L, Cucchi A, Ghensi P, Nocini PF (2013) Evaluation of the esthetic results of 64 nonfunctional immediately loaded postextraction implants in the maxilla: correlation between interproximal alveolar crest and soft tissues at 3 years of follow-up. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res 15:130–142CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 34.Cornelini R, Cangini F, Covani U, Wilson TG Jr (2005) Immediate restoration of implants placed into fresh extraction sockets for single-tooth replacement: a prospective clinical study. Int J Periodont Restorative Dent 25:439–447Google Scholar