Osteonecrosis of the jaw related to sunitinib
- 552 Downloads
A 59-year-old male patient was referred to the hospital with exposed bone measuring 10 mm in diameter in the posterior, left-side region of the lower jaw. Two months previous, the first molar had been extracted. The patient had contracted renal cell carcinoma and had been treated by nephrectomy in 2003. Soft tissue metastases occurred. After initial therapy with interferon and vinblastine, a relapse occurred and the therapy was changed to sorafenib, followed by sunitinib. Osteonecrosis of the lower jaw appeared 1 year after initial and exclusive therapy with sunitinib.
Bisphosphonates had never been applied. With increasing application of multi-kinase inhibitors, complications due to osteonecrosis could occur more frequently.
KeywordsOsteonecrosis Sunitinib Multi-kinase inhibitor Side effect Tooth extraction Cancer therapy
- 3.Mendel DB, Laird AD, Xin X, Louie SG, Christensen JG, Li G, Schreck RE, Abrams TJ, Ngai TJ, Lee LB, Murray LJ, Carver J, Chan E, Moss KG, Haznedar JO, Sukbuntherng J, Blake RA, Sun L, Tang C, Miller T, Shirazian S, McMahon G, Cherrington JM (2003) In vivo antitumor activity of SU11248, a novel tyrosine kinase inhibitor targeting vascular endothelial growth factor and platelet-derived growth factor receptors: determination of a pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic relationship. Clin Cancer Res 9:327–337PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Christodoulou C, Pervena A, Klouvas G, Galani E, Falagas ME, Tsakalos G, Visvikis A, Nikolakopoulou A, Acholos V, Karapanagiotidis G, Batziou E, Skarlos DV (2009) Combination of bisphosphonates and antiangiogenic factors induces osteonecrosis of the jaw more frequently than bisphosphonates alone. Oncology 76:209–211CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Motzer RJ, Michaelson MD, Redman BG, Hudes GR, Wilding G, Figlin RA, Ginsberg MS, Kim ST, Baum CM, DePrimo SE, Li JZ, Bello CL, Theuer CP, George DJ, Rini BI (2006) Activity of SU11248, a multitargeted inhibitor of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor and platelet-derived growth factor receptor, in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma. J Clin Oncol 24:16–24CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Wolter P, Dumez H, Schoffski P (2007) Sunitinib and hypothyroidism. N Engl J Med 356:1580; author reply 1580–1581Google Scholar
- 20.Faivre S, Delbaldo C, Vera K, Robert C, Lozahic S, Lassau N, Bello C, Deprimo S, Brega N, Massimini G, Armand JP, Scigalla P, Raymond E (2006) Safety, pharmacokinetic, and antitumor activity of SU11248, a novel oral multitarget tyrosine kinase inhibitor, in patients with cancer. J Clin Oncol 24:25–35CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Walter C, Al-Nawas B, Grotz KA, Thomas C, Thuroff JW, Zinser V, Gamm H, Beck J, Wagner W (2008) Prevalence and risk factors of bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw in prostate cancer patients with advanced disease treated with zoledronate. Eur Urol 54:1066–1072CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Hansen T, Kunkel M, Springer E, Walter C, Weber A, Siegel E, Kirkpatrick CJ (2007) Actinomycosis of the jaws—histopathological study of 45 patients shows significant involvement in bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis and infected osteoradionecrosis. Virchows Arch 451:1009–1017CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar