Endodontic surgery with and without inserts of bioactive glass PerioGlas®—a clinical and radiographic follow-up
- 268 Downloads
This study evaluated the use of bioactive glass, PerioGlas®, after retrograde filling with Super EBA™ cement in the treatment of periapical bone destruction.
Healing outcomes were followed up after endodontic surgery in 186 teeth. Outcomes were divided into two groups according to follow-up time: short- and long-term. The EBA™ group (n = 110) underwent endodontic surgery and retrograde filling with EBA™ cement. In the EBA™ + PerioGlas® group (n = 76), PerioGlas® was embedded in the bone cavity after retrograde filling.
The success rate in the EBA™ + PerioGlas® group was 72% compared with 56% in the Super EBA™ group at the short-term follow-up and 74% and 84%, respectively, at the long-term follow-up. Healing of periapical bone destruction classified as uncertain at the short-term follow-up was considered successful in two out of three cases at the long-term follow-up.
This study found that PerioGlas® as bone substitute did not significantly improve endodontic healing outcome.
KeywordsBone graft evaluation Bone regeneration Endodontic surgery PerioGlas® Retrograde filling
We thank the Centre for Clinical Research, Uppsala University in Västerås for their support of this project and especially research assistant Petra Wahlén and PhD Andreas Rosenblad for help with the statistical analyzes.
- 2.Persson G, Lennartsson B, Lundström I (1974) Results of retrograde root-filling with special reference to amalgam and Cavit as root-filling materials. Swed Dent J 8:123–133Google Scholar
- 7.Shapoff C, Alexander D, Clark A (1997) Compendium in continuing education in dentistry 18 (4):352–363Google Scholar
- 15.Andersson ÖH, Vähätalo K, Yli-Urpo A, Happonen RP, Karlsson KH (1994) Short-term reaction kinetics of bioactive glass in stimulated body fluid and in subcutaneous tissue. Bioceramics, Vol. 7, (Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Ceramics in Medicine, Turku, Finland, 1994)Google Scholar
- 19.Brooks LT, Melloning JT, Meffert RM, Jones AA, Nummikoski PV, Cochran DL (1998) Clinical evaluation of bioactive glass in the treatment of periodontal osseous defects in humans. J Periodontol 69:1027–1035Google Scholar
- 21.Del Fabbro M, Taschieri S, Testori T, Francetti L, Weinstein RL. Surgical versus non-surgical endodontic re-treatment for periradicular lesions. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2007, Issue 3. Art No.: CD005511. doi: 10.1002/14651858.pub2