Building a Simple Model of a Pulse-Frequency-Modulation Photosensor and Demonstration of a 128 x 128-pixel Pulse-Frequency-Modulation Image Sensor Fabricated in a Standard 0.35-$mUm Complementary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor Technology
- 77 Downloads
We present a simple model of the pulse-frequency-modulation (PFM) photosensor that provides explicit relationships between circuit parameters and output characteristics. The model treats the PFM photosensor with a feedback loop as an open loop circuit. Several characteristics such as output pulse frequency for light intensity and photosensitivity are expressed by device parameters of a photodiode, reset transistor, and chain of inverters. The relationships derived from the proposed model help us to comprehend the results by simulation program with integrated circuit emphasis (SPICE) or experiments. We design and fabricate a 128 x 128-pixel PFM image sensor with photosensitivity of 0.15 Hz/lux. As a demonstration, a figure of a dinosaur is captured using the fabricated image sensor to discuss its operation. Characteristics of a normal pixel and white and black defect pixels are measured and discussed based on the results of formulations.
Key wordspulse-frequency-modulation photosensor CMOS image sensor vision chip
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. R. Fossum: Proc. SPIE 1900 (1993) 2.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Moni: Vision Chips (Kluwer Academic Publishers, New York, 1999).Google Scholar
- 3.E. R. Fossum: Trans. Elec. Dev. 44 (1997) 1689.Google Scholar
- 4.W. Yang: Proc. IEEE Int. Solid-State Circuits Conf., 1994, p. 230.Google Scholar
- 5.F. Andoh, H. Shimamoto and Y. Fujita: IEEE Trans. Elec. Dev. 47 (2000) 2123.Google Scholar
- 6.E. Culurciello R. E.-Cummings and K. A. Boahen: IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits 38 (2003) 281.Google Scholar
- 7.E. Margalit: Surv. Ophthalmol. 47 (2002) 335.Google Scholar
- 8.J. Ohta, N. Yoshida, K. Kagawa and M. Nunoshita: Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 41 (2002) 2322.Google Scholar
- 9.K. Kagawa, K. Isakari, T. Furumiya, A. Uehara, T. Tokuda, J. Ohta and M. Nunoshita: Electron. Lett. 39 (2003) 419.Google Scholar
- 10.A. Uehara, K. Kagawa, T. Tokuda, J. Ohta and M. Nunoshita: Electron. Lett. 39 (2003) 1102.Google Scholar
- 11.D. C. Ng, K. Isakari, A. Uehara, K. Kagawa, T. Tokuda, J. Ohta and M. Nunoshita: Jpn. J. Appl. Phys 42 (2003) 7621.Google Scholar