Collaborative eScience libraries
- 85 Downloads
In the context of collaborative eScience, digital libraries are one of many distributed, interoperable resources available to scientists that facilitate both human and machine collaboration: machine collaboration in the form of standards such as the Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting and human collaboration in the form of collaborative workspaces. This paper describes a set of collaborative workspaces created at the Los Alamos National Laboratory Research Library, initial patterns of use, and additional user requirements determined based on these initial patterns of use.
KeywordseScience Digital library Human–computer interaction Collaboration Collaborative workspace
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lederberg, J., Uncaphar, K.: Towards a National Collaboratory: report of an invitational workshop at the Rockefeller University, New York. National Science Foundation, Arlington (1989)Google Scholar
- 3.Yu, J., Buyya, R.: A taxonomy of workflow management systems for grid computing: http://arxiv.org/abs/cs/0503025 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Report of the working group on virtual research communities for the OST e-infrastructure steering group, VRC Final Report: http://www.rin.ac.uk/files/report 6 – virtual research communities.pdf (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Collins, L.M., Mane, K.K., Martinez, M.L.B., Hussell, J.A.T., Luce, R.E.: ScienceSifter: Facilitating activity awareness in collaborative research groups through focused information feeds. In: Proceedings of the 1st IEEE international conference on e-Science and grid computing (e-Science 2005). Melbourne, Australia, December 2005Google Scholar
- 7.Collins, L.M., Northup, D.E., Martinez, M.L.B., Van Reenen, J., Baker, M.A., Crowley, C., Powell, J.E., Freels-Stendel, B., Heckethorn, S., Park, J.C.: The Karst collaborative workspace for analyzing and annotating scientific datasets. In: Proceedings of the 12th international conference on human-computer interaction (HCI International 2007), Beijing July 2007Google Scholar