Computational and qualitative aspects of evolution of curves driven by curvature and external force
- 95 Downloads
We propose a direct method for solving the evolution of plane curves satisfying the geometric equation v=β(x,k,ν) where v is the normal velocity, k and ν are the curvature and tangential angle of a plane curve Γ⊂R2 at a point x∈Γ. We derive and analyze the governing system of partial differential equations for the curvature, tangential angle, local length and position vector of an evolving family of plane curves. The governing equations include a nontrivial tangential velocity functional yielding uniform redistribution of grid points along the evolving family of curves preventing thus numerically computed solutions from forming various instabilities. We also propose a full space-time discretization of the governing system of equations and study its experimental order of convergence. Several computational examples of evolution of plane curves driven by curvature and external force as well as the geodesic curvatures driven evolution of curves on various complex surfaces are presented in this paper.
KeywordsGrid Point Tangential Velocity Normal Velocity Qualitative Aspect Closed Geodesic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Beneš, M.: Mathematical and computational aspects of solidification of pure crystallic materials. Acta Math. Univ. Comenianae 70, 123–151 (2001) Google Scholar
- 20.Kichenassamy, S., Kumar, A., Olver, P., Tannenbaum, A., Yezzi, A.: Gradient flows and geometric active contours models, in Proceedings International Conference on Computer Vision’95, Boston, 1995 Google Scholar
- 25.Mikula, K. Solution of nonlinear curvature driven evolution of plane convex curves. Appl. Numer. Math. 21, 1–14 (1997) Google Scholar
- 27.Mikula, K., Ševčovič, D. Evolution of plane curves driven by a nonlinear function of curvature and anisotropy. SIAM J. Appl. Math. 61, 1473–1501 (2001) Google Scholar
- 28.Mikula, K., Ševčovič, D.: A direct method for solving an anisotropic mean curvature flow of plane curves with an external force. submitted Google Scholar
- 29.Mikula, K., Ševčovič, D.: Evolution of curves on a surface driven by the geodesic curvature and external force. submitted Google Scholar
- 31.Perona, P., Malik, J.: Scale space and edge detection using anisotropic diffusion. Proc. IEEE Computer Society Workshop on Computer Vision 1987 Google Scholar
- 35.Sethian, J.A.: Level Set Methods and Fast Marching Methods: Evolving Interfaces in Computational Geometry, Fluid Mechanics, Computer Vision, and Material Science. New York: Cambridge University Press 1999Google Scholar