The evidence base of methylphenidate for children and adolescents with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder is in fact flawed
- 464 Downloads
In an editorial on our Cochrane systematic review on methylphenidate for children and adolescents with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) , Hoekstra and Buitelaar raise several points . We thank them for drawing attention to our review and for agreeing with us that there are several caveats regarding the evidence trying to underpin the use of the drug for ADHD . They also raise several critical comments on our review. Here we shall try to explain our standpoints on inclusion of trials; bias due to vested interests; bias risks derived by lack of blinding; and nocebo.
Re. inclusion criteria. The inclusion of the Multimodal Treatment Study of ADHD in our review is fully in accord with our protocol . Here, we wrote that we would include trials with placebo or no intervention as control group . Ten out of 185 trials had no intervention as comparator.
Re. bias due to vested interests. We are certainly not introducing a new ideology . The AMSTAR...
KeywordsAttention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Methylphenidate Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Symptom Vested Interest
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interests.
- 1.Storebø OJ, Ramstad E, Krogh HB, Nilausen TD, Skoog M, Holmskov M, Rosendal S, Groth C, Magnusson FL, Moreira Maia CR, Gillies D, Buch Rasmussen K, Gauci D, Zwi M, Kirubakaran R, Forsbøl B, Simonsen E, Gluud C (2015) Methylphenidate for children and adolescents with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Cochrane Database Syst Rev. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD009885.pub2 PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.Higgins JPT, Green S (2011) The Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions, Version 5.1.0. In: The Cochrane Collaboration. Available from http://www.cochrane-handbook.org
- 4.Lundh A, Sismondo S, Lexchin J, Busuioc OA, Bero L (2012) Industry sponsorship and research outcome. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 12:MR000033Google Scholar
- 5.Bero L (2013) Why the Cochrane risk of bias tool should include funding source as a standard item [editorial]. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 12. doi: 10.1002/14651858.ED000075
- 8.Moncrieff J, Wessely S, Hardy R (2004) Active placebos versus antidepressants for depression. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, Issue 1. Art. No.: CD003012. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD003012.pub2