Plasma kynurenine and related measures in tic disorder patients
- 148 Downloads
Increased plasma kynurenine has been reported in tic disorder patients, and this observation has been suggested to be indicative of immune dysregulation. In the present study, we examined plasma levels of kynurenine and related molecules in a group of tic disorder patients.
Plasma concentrations of tryptophan, kynurenine, cortisol, and neopterin were determined in Dutch tic disorder patients (N = 59), and healthy volunteers (N = 32). Group means were compared and age-controlled intra-individual correlations between tic severity and plasma levels of these molecules were examined.
No significant differences were found between patient and control groups in plasma levels of tryptophan, kynurenine, and cortisol concentrations, nor in the kynurenine/tryptophan ratio. However, neopterin was significantly (p = 0.035) higher in patients (mean = 5.13 nmol/l) than in controls (mean = 3.30 nmol/l). Plasma levels of these molecules did not correlate with tic severity, with the exception of tryptophan (r = −0.289, p = 0.049). In patients, plasma neopterin correlated with kynurenine (r = 0.438, p = 0.002); in healthy subjects, tryptophan correlated with kynurenine (r = 0.670, p < 0.001).
While the observed elevation in plasma neopterin is consistent with immune activation in a subset of tic disorder patients, metabolism of tryptophan through the kynurenine pathway appears to be unaltered in tic disorder patients.
Keywordstic disorders kynurenine tryptophan neopterin indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase cortisol
- K/T ratio
kynurenine to tryptophan ratio
- 1.American Psychiatric Association (1994) Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, 4th edn. American Psychiatric Press, WashingtonGoogle Scholar
- 3.Cardona F, Orefici G (2001) Group A streptococcal infections and tic disorders in an Italian pediatric population. J Pediatr 38(1):71–75Google Scholar
- 9.Gaynor CM, Rickards EHG, Kariyawasam SH, Sidey FM, Robertson MM, Corbett JA (1997) Increased plasma kynurenine in Tourette syndrome may be due to induction of IDO. J Psychopharmacol 11:A23Google Scholar
- 11.Heyes MP, Brew BJ, Saito K, Quearry BJ, Price RW, Lee K, Bhalla RB, Der M, Markey SP (1992) Inter-relationships between quinolinic acid, neuroactive kynurenines, neopterin and β2 microglobulin in cerebrospinal fluid and serum of HIV-1-infected patients. J Neuroimmunol 40(1):71–80PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Hoekstra PJ, Anderson GM, Limburg PC, Korf J, Kallenberg CG, Minderaa RB (2004a) Neurobiology and neuroimmunology of Tourette’s syndrome: an update. Cell Mol Life Sci 61(7–8):886–898Google Scholar
- 13.Hoekstra PJ, Steenhuis MP, Troost PW, Korf J, Kallenberg CG, Minderaa RB (2004b) Relative contribution of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and tic severity to social and behavioural problems in tic disorders. J Dev Behav Pediatr 25(4):272–279CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Luo F, Leckman JF, Katsovich L, Findley D, Grantz H, Tucker DM, Lombroso PJ, King RA, Bessen DE (2004) Prospective longitudinal study of children with tic disorders and/or obsessive-compulsive disorder: relationship of symptom exacerbations to newly acquired streptococcal infections. Pediatrics 113(6):e578–e585PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Maes M, Verkerk R, Bonaccorso S, Ombelet W, Bosmans E, Scharpe S (2002) Depressive and anxiety symptoms in the early puerperium are related to increased degradation of tryptophan into kynurenine, a phenomenon which is related to immune activation. Life Sci 71(16):1837–1848PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.McCreary AC, Handley SL (1995) Kynurenine potentiates the DOI headshake in mice. J Psychopharmacol 9:68–69Google Scholar
- 27.Peterson BS, Leckman JF, Tucker D, Scahill L, Staib L, Zhang H, King R, Cohen DJ, Gore JC, Lombroso P (2000) Preliminary findings of antistreptococcal antibody titers and basal ganglia volumes in tic, obsessive-compulsive, and attention deficit/hyperactivity disorders. Arch Gen Psychiatry 57(4):364–372PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar