Effects of root-end filling on the fractal dimension of the periapical bone after periapical surgery: retrospective study
- 109 Downloads
The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of root-end filling after periapical surgery on the fractal dimension (FD) of the periapical bone.
Thirty-eight patients who underwent periapical surgery were included in this study. The cases were divided into two subgroups: (1) In the gutta-percha group, root cavity and root-end fillings were not performed after root resection. In this group, there were 14 female patients and 6 male patients. (2) In the mineral trioxide aggregate (MTA) group, the root end was filled with MTA after root resection. In this group, there were 13 female patients and 5 male patients. Each patient underwent two periapical radiographs, one shortly after periapical surgery (10–15 days) and another one 1 year after periapical surgery. Regions of interest (ROIs) located close to the infected root apex were selected for each radiograph. Periapical radiographs were digitized and processed with an FD analysis using the box-counting method.
FD was significantly increased in both groups over time (p < 0.05). The increases in FD between groups were not significant (p > 0.05).
Mathematical morphology combined with the box-counting method showed that the FD change was independent of the root-end filling at the 1-year follow-up after periapical surgery.
Because of the complex anatomy of the root canal, orthograde endodontic treatment may be inadequate and periapical surgery becomes an alternative in these cases. In this study, the effect of root-end filling on the increase in trabecular bone after periapical surgery was investigated using fractal analysis.
KeywordsGutta-Percha Fractal analyses MTA Periapical surgery Root-end filling
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors. The study was approved by the Ethics Committee of Bolu Abant Izzet Baysal University, (X). The study was performed in accordance with the ethical standards laid down in the 1964 Declaration of Helsinki and its later amendments.
The Ethics Committee approved the informed consent dismissal.
- 1.Christiansen R, Kirkevang LL, Horsted-Bindslev P, Wenzel A (2009) Randomized clinical trial of root-end resection followed by root-end filling with mineral trioxide aggregate or smoothing of the orthograde gutta-percha root filling--1-year follow-up. Int Endod J 42(2):105–114. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2591.2008.01474.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Walivaara DA, Abrahamsson P, Fogelin M, Isaksson S (2011) Super-EBA and IRM as root-end fillings in periapical surgery with ultrasonic preparation: a prospective randomized clinical study of 206 consecutive teeth. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 112(2):258–263. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2011.01.016 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Kruse C, Spin-Neto R, Christiansen R, Wenzel A, Kirkevang LL (2016) Periapical bone healing after apicectomy with and without retrograde root filling with mineral trioxide aggregate: a 6-year follow-up of a randomized controlled trial. J Endod 42(4):533–537. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2016.01.011 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Zhou W, Zheng Q, Tan X, Song D, Zhang L, Huang D (2017) Comparison of mineral trioxide aggregate and iRoot BP plus root repair material as root-end filling materials in endodontic microsurgery: a prospective randomized controlled study. J Endod 43(1):1–6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2016.10.010 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Apolinário AC, Sindeaux R, de Souza Figueiredo PT, Guimarães AT, Acevedo AC, Castro LC, De Paula AP, De Paula LM, De Melo NS, Leite AF (2016) Dental panoramic indices and fractal dimension measurements in osteogenesis imperfecta children under pamidronate treatment. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 45(4):20150400CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.von Arx T (2005) The Retroplast Technique. Retrograde obturation with composite and adhesive technique in endodontic surgery. Schweiz Monatsschr Zahnmed 115(12):1190–1203Google Scholar
- 23.Demiralp KÖ, Kurşun-Çakmak EŞ, Bayrak S, Akbulut N, Atakan C, Orhan K (2018) Trabecular structure designation using fractal analysis technique on panoramic radiographs of patients with bisphosphonate intake: a preliminary study. Oral Radiol. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11282-018-0321-4
- 29.Kursun-Cakmak ES, Bayrak S (2018) Comparison of fractal dimension analysis and panoramic-based radiomorphometric indices in the assessment of mandibular bone changes in patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oooo.2018.04.010
- 30.Demiralp KO, Kursun-Cakmak ES, Bayrak S, Akbulut N, Atakan C, Orhan K (2019) Trabecular structure designation using fractal analysis technique on panoramic radiographs of patients with bisphosphonate intake: a preliminary study. Oral Radiol 35(1):23–28. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11282-018-0321-4 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.von Arx T, Salvi GE, Janner S, Jensen SS (2009) Gingival recession following apical surgery in the esthetic zone: a clinical study with 70 cases. Eur J Esthet Dent 4(1):28–45Google Scholar