Influence of clodronate and compressive force on IL-1ß-stimulated human periodontal ligament fibroblasts
- 1 Downloads
The aim of this study was to investigate in vitro the effect of clodronate on interleukin-1ß (IL-1ß)–stimulated human periodontal ligament fibroblasts (HPdLFs) with the focus on inflammatory factors of orthodontic tooth movement with and without compressive force.
Materials and methods
HPdLFs were incubated with 5 μM clodronate and 10 ng/mL IL-1ß. After 48 h, cells were exposed to 3 h of compressive force using a centrifuge. The gene expression of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), interleukin-6 (IL-6), matrix metalloproteinase 8 (MMP-8), and the tissue inhibitor of MMP (TIMP-1) was analyzed using RT-PCR. Prostaglandin E2 (PGE-2), IL-6, and TIMP-1 protein syntheses were quantified via ELISA.
Compressive force and IL-1ß induced an overexpression of COX-2 gene expression (61.8-fold; p < 0.05 compared with control), diminished by clodronate (41.1-fold; p < 0.05 compared with control). Clodronate slowed down the compression and IL-1ß induced IL-6 gene expression (161-fold vs. 85.6-fold; p < 0.05 compared with control). TNF-α was only slightly affected without statistical significance. Clodronate reduced IL-1ß-stimulated MMP-8 expression with and without compressive force. TIMP-1 on gene and protein level was downregulated in all groups. Analyzing the MMP-8/TIMP-1 ratio, the highest ratio was detected in IL-1ß-stimulated HPdLFs with compressive force (21.2-fold; p < 0.05 compared with control). Clodronate diminished IL-1ß-induced upregulation of MMP-8/TIMP-1 ratio with (11.5-fold; p < 0.05 compared with control) and without (12.5-fold; p < 0.05 compared with control) compressive force.
Our study demonstrates a slightly anti-inflammatory effect by clodronate under compressive force in vitro. Additionally, the periodontal remodeling presented by the MMP-8/TIMP-1 ratio seems to be diminished by clodronate.
Reduction of pro-inflammatory factors and reduction of periodontal remodeling might explain reduced orthodontic tooth movement under clodronate intake.
KeywordsClodronate Non-nitrogen-containing bisphosphonate Compressive force Tooth movement Periodontal ligament
The work was supported by the Osteology Foundation (Lucerne, Switzerland).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
For this type of study, formal consent is not required.
- 5.Surlin P, Rauten AM, Mogoanta L, Silosi I, Oprea B, Pirici D (2010) Correlations between the gingival crevicular fluid MMP8 levels and gingival overgrowth in patients with fixed orthodontic devices. Romanian J Morphol Embryol 51:515–519Google Scholar
- 9.Schenk R, Merz WA, Muhlbauer R, Russell RG, Fleisch H (1973) Effect of ethane-1-hydroxy-1,1-diphosphonate (EHDP) and dichloromethylene diphosphonate (Cl 2 MDP) on the calcification and resorption of cartilage and bone in the tibial epiphysis and metaphysis of rats. Calcif Tissue Res 11:196–214CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Dombrecht EJ, Schuerwegh AJ, Bridts CH, Ebo DG, Van Offel JF, Stevens WJ, De Clerck LS (2007) Effect of bisphosphonates on nitric oxide production by inflammatory activated chondrocytes. Clin Exp Rheumatol 25:817–822Google Scholar
- 16.Ozdemir SP, Kurtis B, Tuter G, Bozkurt S, Gultekin SE, Senguven B, Watanabe K, Aydin S (2012) Effects of low-dose doxycycline and bisphosphonate clodronate on alveolar bone loss and gingival levels of matrix metalloproteinase-9 and interleukin-1beta in rats with diabetes: a histomorphometric and immunohistochemical study. J Periodontol 83:1172–1182CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Dehghani F, Conrad A, Kohl A, Korf HW, Hailer NP (2004) Clodronate inhibits the secretion of proinflammatory cytokines and NO by isolated microglial cells and reduces the number of proliferating glial cells in excitotoxically injured organotypic hippocampal slice cultures. Exp Neurol 189:241–251CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Choi J, Baek SH, Lee JI, Chang YI (2010) Effects of clodronate on early alveolar bone remodeling and root resorption related to orthodontic forces: a histomorphometric analysis. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop 138:548 e1–548 e8 discussion 548-9Google Scholar
- 30.Redlich M, Roos H, Reichenberg E, Zaks B, Grosskop A, Bar Kana I, Pitaru S, Palmon A (2004) The effect of centrifugal force on mRNA levels of collagenase, collagen type-I, tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases and beta-actin in cultured human periodontal ligament fibroblasts. J Periodontal Res 39:27–32CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 36.Jiang L, Tang Z (2018) Expression and regulation of the ERK1/2 and p38 MAPK signaling pathways in periodontal tissue remodeling of orthodontic tooth movement. Mol Med Rep 17:1499–1506Google Scholar