Estrogen receptor gene is associated with dental fluorosis in Brazilian children
The aim of this study was investigate the association between genetic polymorphisms in ESR1, ESR2, and ESRRB and dental fluorosis (DF) in a well-characterized sample of children from Curitiba, Brazil.
Material and methods
From a representative sample of 538 children, 12-year-old were evaluated. DF was assessed in erupted permanent teeth by the Dean’s index modified. Fourteen polymorphisms were selected in intronic and intergenic regions of ESR1, ESR2, and ESRRB and genotyped in genomic DNA source from saliva using TaqMan chemistry and end-point analysis. Allele and genotype distributions between DF and DF free groups were analyzed using the Epi Info 7.2. Chi-square or Fisher’s exact tests at a level of significance of 5% and odds ratios calculations with 95% confidence intervals were used to determine the statistical associations.
Among 538 children, 147 were DF and 391 were DF free. Genotype distribution for the polymorphism rs12154178 in ESR1 was different between the two groups (p = 0.037; OR = 0.91; CI = 0.67–1.22). The dominant model analysis (AA+AC vs. CC) demonstrated that CC is a protective factor for DF (p = 0.038; OR = 0.51, 0.27–0.97 95% CI). We did not find differences in frequency distributions in the other evaluated polymorphisms.
This study provides evidence that ESR1 is associated with DF.
Dental fluorosis is an important condition that affects the mineralized tissues of the teeth. In severe cases, the treatment takes time and is extremely costly. This research provides evidences that there are genetic factors involved in dental fluorosis and will help professionals to plan more precise strategies to reduce dental fluorosis occurrence.
KeywordsDental fluorosis Estrogen receptor gene Polymorphism
The authors are indebted to the participants of the study
Support for this work was provided by FAPESP (the State of São Paulo Research Foundation, number 2015/06866-5).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in this study were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
The parents/guardians of the all participants received information about the study and signed written informed consent.
- 8.Brazil, Ministery of Health (2012) Oral health Brazil 2010. National Oral Health Research: main resultsGoogle Scholar
- 12.Jiao YZ, Mu LH, Wang YX, An W, Jiang M (2013) Association between ameloblastin gene polymorphisms and the susceptibility to dental fluorosis. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi 34(1):28–32Google Scholar
- 17.Zhou G, Ren L, Hou J, Cui L, Ding Z, Cheng X, Zhu J, Cui R, Ba Y (2016) Endemic fluorosis in Henan province, China: ERα gene polymorphisms and reproductive hormones among women. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 25(4):911–919Google Scholar
- 23.Manosroi W, Tan JW, Rariy CM, Sun B, Goodarzi MO, Saxena AR, Williams JS, Pojoga LH, Lasky-Su J, Cui J, Guo X, Taylor KD, Chen YI, Xiang AH, Hsueh WA, Raffel LJ, Buchanan TA, Rotter JI, Williams GH, Seely EW (2017) The association of estrogen receptor-β gene variation with salt-sensitive blood pressure. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 102(11):4124–4135CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Weber ML, Hsin HY, Kalay E, BroŽková DS, Shimizu T, Bayram M, Deeley K, Küchler EC, Forella J, Ruff TD, Trombetta VM, Sencak RC, Hummel M, Briseño-Ruiz J, Revu SK, Granjeiro JM, Antunes LS, Antunes LA, Abreu FV, Costa MC, Tannure PN, Koruyucu M, Patir A, Poletta FA, Mereb JC, Castilla EE, Orioli IM, Marazita ML, Ouyang H, Jayaraman T, Seymen F, Vieira AR (2014) Role of estrogen related receptor beta (ESRRB) in DFN35B hearing impairment and dental decay. BMC Med Genet 15:15–81CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.PNUD, United Nations Development Program (2013) Brazilian municipal human development index pp96. Site: http://www.atlasbrasil.org.br. Accessed 20 April 2018
- 28.Amarante LM, Jitomirski F, Amarante CLF (1993) Flúor: benefícios e controvérsias dos programas de fluoretação. Rev Bras Odontol 50(4):22–30Google Scholar
- 30.Sanepar, Sanitation Company of Paraná State (2011) Site: http://site.sanepar.com.br/noticias/agua-do-sistema-publico-ajuda-prevenir-carie. Accessed 19 July 2017
- 31.World Health Organization (2008) Oral health survey. Basic methods, 5th edn. WHO, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- 32.Dean HT (1942) In: Moulton FR (ed) The investigation of physiologic effects by epidemiological method. Fluorine and dental health. American Association for the Advancement of Science, Washington. D.C, pp 23–31Google Scholar
- 34.Shimizu T, Ho B, Deeley K, Briseño-Ruiz J, Faraco IMJR, Schupack BI, Brancher JA, Pecharki GD, Küchler EC, Tannure PN, Lips A, Vieira TC, Patir A, Yildirim M, Poletta FA, Mereb JC, Resick JM, Brandon CA, Orioli IM, Castilla EE, Marazita ML, Seymen F, Costa MC, Granjeiro JM, Trevilatto PC, Vieira AR (2012) Enamel formation genes influence enamel microhardness before and after cariogenic challenge. PLoS One 7(9):e45022CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 35.Jeremias F, Koruyucu M, Küchler EC, Bayram M, Tuna EB, Deeley K, Pierri RA, Souza JF, Fragelli CM, Paschoal MA, Gencay K, Seymen F, Caminaga RM, Dos Santos-Pinto L, Vieira AR (2013) Genes expressed in dental development are associated with molar-incisor hypomineralization. Arch Oral Biol 58:1434–1442CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 40.Enmark E, Pelto-Huikko M, Grandien K, Lagercrantz S, Lagercrantz J, Fried G, Nordenskjold M, Gustafsson JÅ (1997) Human estrogen receptor b-gene structure, chromosomal localization, and expression pattern. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82:4258–4265Google Scholar