Downregulation of CRNN gene and genomic instability at 1q21.3 in oral squamous cell carcinoma
- First Online:
This study includes the direct sequencing of cornulin (CRNN) gene to elucidate the possible mechanism of CRNN downregulation and explore the genetic imbalances at 1q21.3 across oral squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC) samples.
Materials and methods
In mutation screening of CRNN gene, gDNA from OSCC tissues were extracted, amplified, and followed by direct sequencing. OSCC samples were also subjected to fragment analysis on CRNN gene to investigate its microsatellite instability (MSI) and loss of heterozygosity (LOH). Immunohistochemistry was performed to validate CRNN downregulation in OSCC samples.
No pathogenic mutation was found in CRNN gene, while high frequency of allelic imbalances was found at 1q21.3 region. MSI was found more frequent (25.3 %) than LOH (9.3 %). Approximately 22.6 % of cases had high MSI which reflects higher probability of inactivation of DNA mismatch repair genes. MSI showed significant association with no betel quid chewing (p = 0.003) and tongue subsite (p = 0.026). LOH was associated with ethnicity (p = 0.008) and advanced staging (p = 0.039). The LOH at 1q21.3 was identified to be as an independent prognostic marker in OSCC (HRR = 7.15 (95 % CI, 1.41–36.25), p = 0.018). Downregulation of CRNN was found among MSI-positive OSCCs and was associated with poor prognosis (p = 0.044).
This study showed a significant correlation between LOH/MSI at 1q21.3 with clinical outcomes and that downregulation of CRNN gene could be considered as a prognostic marker of OSCC.
Insights of the downregulation mode of CRNN gene lays the basis of drug development on this gene as well as revealing its prognostic value.
KeywordsOral squamous cell carcinoma CRNN gene Genetic instability 1q23.1. LOH/MSI
- 5.Maru DM, Luthra R, Correa AM, White-Cross J, Anandasabapathy S, Krishnan S, Guha S, Komaki R, Swisher SG, Ajani JA, Hofstetter WL, Rashid A (2009) Frequent loss of heterozygosity of chromosome 1q in esophageal adenocarcinoma: loss of chromosome 1q21.3 is associated with shorter overall survival. Cancer 115(7):1576–1585. doi:10.1002/cncr.24122 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Vincent-Chong VK, Anwar A, Karen-Ng LP, Cheong SC, Yang YH, Pradeep PJ, Rahman ZA, Ismail SM, Zaini ZM, Prepageran N, Kallarakkal TG, Ramanathan A, Mohayadi NA, Rosli NS, Mustafa WM, Abraham MT, Tay KK, Zain RB (2013) Genome wide analysis of chromosomal alterations in oral squamous cell carcinomas revealed over expression of MGAM and ADAM9. PLoS One 8(2):e54705. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0054705 PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Marenholz I, Zirra M, Fischer DF, Backendorf C, Ziegler A, Mischke D (2001) Identification of human epidermal differentiation complex (EDC)-encoded genes by subtractive hybridization of entire YACs to a gridded keratinocyte cDNA library. Genome Res 11(3):341–355. doi:10.1101/gr.114801 PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Kimchi ET, Posner MC, Park JO, Darga TE, Kocherginsky M, Karrison T, Hart J, Smith KD, Mezhir JJ, Weichselbaum RR, Khodarev NN (2005) Progression of Barrett’s metaplasia to adenocarcinoma is associated with the suppression of the transcriptional programs of epidermal differentiation. Cancer Res 65(8):3146–3154. doi:10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-04-2490 PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Luthra MG, Ajani JA, Izzo J, Ensor J, Wu TT, Rashid A, Zhang L, Phan A, Fukami N, Luthra R (2007) Decreased expression of gene cluster at chromosome 1q21 defines molecular subgroups of chemoradiotherapy response in esophageal cancers. Clin Cancer Res Off J Am Assoc Cancer Res 13(3):912–919. doi:10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-06-1577 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Nelson L, Anderson S, Archibald AL, Rhind S, Lu ZH, Condie A, McIntyre N, Thompson J, Nenutil R, Vojtesek B, Whitelaw CB, Little TJ, Hupp T (2008) An animal model to evaluate the function and regulation of the adaptively evolving stress protein SEP53 in oesophageal bile damage responses. Cell Stress Chaperones 13(3):375–385. doi:10.1007/s12192-008-0037-1 PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Imai FL, Uzawa K, Nimura Y, Moriya T, Imai MA, Shiiba M, Bukawa H, Yokoe H, Tanzawa H (2005) Chromosome 1 open reading frame 10 (C1orf10) gene is frequently down-regulated and inhibits cell proliferation in oral squamous cell carcinoma. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 37(8):1641–1655. doi:10.1016/j.biocel.2005.02.005 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Lieden A, Ekelund E, Kuo IC, Kockum I, Huang CH, Mallbris L, Lee SP, Seng LK, Chin GY, Wahlgren CF, Palmer CN, Bjorksten B, Stahle M, Nordenskjold M, Bradley M, Chua KY, D’Amato M (2009) Cornulin, a marker of late epidermal differentiation, is down-regulated in eczema. Allergy 64(2):304–311. doi:10.1111/j.1398-9995.2008.01856.x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.Zain RB, Athirajan V, Ghani WM, Razak IA, Raja Latifah RJ, Ismail SM, Sallam AA, Bustam AZ, Rahman ZA, Hussien A, Talib N, Cheong SC, Jallaludin A (2013) An oral cancer biobank initiative: a platform for multidisciplinary research in a developing country. Cell Tissue Bank 14(1):45–52. doi:10.1007/s10561-012-9298-0 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Sobin LH, Gospodarowicz MK, Wittekind C (2009) TNM classification of malignant tumours. Wiley, Chichester, West Sussex, UKGoogle Scholar
- 24.Hall TA (1999) BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. In: Nucleic acids symposium series, pp 95–98Google Scholar
- 35.Vazquez-Mena O, Medina-Martinez I, Juárez-Torres E, Barrón V, Espinosa A, Villegas-Sepulveda N, Gómez-Laguna L, Nieto-Martínez K, Orozco L, Roman-Basaure E (2012) Amplified genes may be overexpressed, unchanged, or downregulated in cervical cancer cell lines. PLoS One 7(3):e32667PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 36.Kakimoto Y, Numasawa H, Yamamoto N, Takeda E, Yamauchi T, Shibahara T (2007) Loss of heterozygosity and microsatellite instability on the long arm of chromosome 2 in human oral squamous cell carcinoma. Dent Jpn 43:70–73Google Scholar
- 43.Hsu PK, Kao HL, Chen HY, Yen CC, Wu YC, Hsu WH, Chou TY (2014) Loss of CRNN expression is associated with advanced tumor stage and poor survival in patients with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 147(5):1612–1618. doi:10.1016/j.jtcvs.2013.09.066, e1614CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 44.Pawar H, Maharudraiah J, Kashyap MK, Sharma J, Srikanth SM, Choudhary R, Chavan S, Sathe G, Manju HC, Kumar KV, Vijayakumar M, Sirdeshmukh R, Harsha HC, Prasad TS, Pandey A, Kumar RV (2013) Downregulation of cornulin in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Acta Histochem 115(2):89–99. doi:10.1016/j.acthis.2012.04.003 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar