Oral verrucous carcinoma: a retrospective study in São Paulo Region, Brazil
- 258 Downloads
Oral verrucous carcinoma (OVC) is a rare variant of squamous cell carcinoma with a characteristic morphology and specific behavior. To date, few studies are available focusing the prevalence and clinicopathologic features of the oral verrucous carcinoma in Brazilian population. A total of 3,500 primary oral well-differentiated squamous cell carcinoma surgically excised in the A.C. Camargo Cancer Hospital and Amaral Carvalho Cancer Hospital, Brazil, from 1980 to 2000 were retrospectively reviewed. Twenty cases of verrucous carcinomas were identified, most of them occurring in older male with age above the sixth decade, the sites frequently affected being the lower lip and the hard palate. Microscopically, the tumor showed a heavily keratinized lesion with compressive invasion pattern, little atypia, and free surgical margins. The local recurrence was verified in 38.5% of the patients with oral verrucous carcinoma; however, regional recurrence and distant metastasis were not verified. The results suggest that, although it is less frequent and with excellent prognosis, the verrucous carcinoma presents a potential for local recurrence that should be considered during the surgical planning of this neoplasm in the oral cavity.
KeywordsVerrucous carcinoma Oral squamous cell carcinoma Oral cancer Verrucous lesion Prognosis
The authors thank FAPESP (Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo, grant 03/14141-3) and CAPES (Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior) for supporting this study.
- 3.Castro AL et al (1991) Carcinoma verrucoso. Rev Cient UNOESTE 11:75–81Google Scholar
- 4.Chagin AL (2000) Factores de riesgo etiopatogenicos del carcinoma verrugoso en cavidad bucal. Acta Odontol Venez 38:9–14Google Scholar
- 6.Eisenberg E, Rosenberg B, Krutchkoff DJ (1985) Verrucous carcinoma: a possible viral pathogenesis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 59:52–57Google Scholar
- 9.Figueiredo MAZ et al (1991) Carcinoma verrucoso. Apresentação de casos. Rev Odonto Cienc 2:63–74Google Scholar
- 17.McCoy JM, Waldron CA (1981) Verrucous carcinoma of the oral cavity. A review of forty-nine cases. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 52:623–629Google Scholar
- 21.Rajendran R et al (1989) Ackerman’s tumour (Verrucous carcinoma) of the oral cavity: a histopathologic study of 426 cases. Singap Dent J 14:48–53Google Scholar
- 22.Santana Filho M, Rovani G (2000) Avaliação quantitativa das células de Langerhans no carcinoma verrucoso e no epitélio normal adjacente. Rev Pós-Grad 7:225–229Google Scholar