THRAP3 interacts with and inhibits the transcriptional activity of SOX9 during chondrogenesis
- 582 Downloads
Sex-determining region Y (Sry)-box (Sox)9 is required for chondrogenesis as a transcriptional activator of genes related to chondrocyte proliferation, differentiation, and cartilage-specific extracellular matrix. Although there have been studies investigating the Sox9-dependent transcriptional complexes, not all their components have been identified. In the present study, we demonstrated that thyroid hormone receptor-associated protein (THRAP)3 is a component of a SOX9 transcriptional complex by liquid chromatography mass spectrometric analysis of FLAG-tagged Sox9-binding proteins purified from FLAG-HA-tagged Sox9 knock-in mice. Thrap3 knockdown in ATDC5 chondrogenic cells increased the expression of Collagen type II alpha 1 chain (Col2a1) without affecting Sox9 expression. THRAP3 and SOX9 overexpression reduced Col2a1 levels to a greater degree than overexpression of SOX9 alone. The negative regulation of SOX9 transcriptional activity by THRAP3 was mediated by interaction between the proline-, glutamine-, and serine-rich domain of SOX9 and the innominate domain of THRAP3. These results indicate that THRAP3 negatively regulates SOX9 transcriptional activity as a cofactor of a SOX9 transcriptional complex during chondrogenesis.
KeywordsTHRAP3 SOX9 Chondrogenesis Knock-in mouse LC/MS/MS
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they are no conflict of interest.
- 4.Wagner T, Wirth J, Meyer J, Zabel B, Held M, Zimmer J, Pasantes J, Bricarelli FD, Keutel J, Hustert E, Wolf U, Tommerup N, Schempp W, Scherer G (1994) Autosomal sex reversal and campomelic dysplasia are caused by mutations in and around the SRY-related gene SOX9. Cell 79:1111–1120CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Nakamura Y, Yamamoto K, He X, Otsuki B, Kim Y, Murao H, Soeda T, Tsumaki N, Deng JM, Zhang Z, Behringer RR, Crombrugghe BD, Postlethwait JH, Warman ML, Nakamura T, Akiyama H (2011) Wwp2 is essential for palatogenesis mediated by the interaction between Sox9 and mediator subunit 25. Nat Commun 2:251CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 21.Katano-Toki A, Satoh T, Tomaru T, Yoshino S, Ishizuka T, Ishii S, Ozawa A, Shibusawa N, Tsuchiya T, Saito T, Shimizu H, Hashimoto K, Okada S, Yamada M, Mori M (2013) THRAP3 interacts with HELZ2 and plays a novel role in adipocyte differentiation. Mol Endocrinol 27:769–780CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 26.Shukunami C, Shigeno C, Atsumi T, Ishizeki K, Suzuki F, Hiraki Y (1996) Chondrogenic differentiation of clonal mouse embryonic cell line ATDC5 in vitro: differentiation-dependent gene expression of parathyroid hormone (PTH)/PTH-related peptide receptor. J Cell Biol 133:457–468CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 37.Cha JD, Kim HJ, Cha IH (2011) Genetic alterations in oral squamous cell carcinoma progression detected by combining array-based comparative genomic hybridization and multiplex ligation-dependent probe amplification. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 111:594–607CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar