Age curves of bone mineral density at the distal radius and calcaneus in Koreans
- 100 Downloads
This study evaluated age-related changes in bone mineral density (BMD) and identified the peak bone mineral density (PBMD) in Koreans. We recruited 2929 subjects, ranging in age from 5 to 86 years, from three regions: Seoul, Siwha, and Gwangyang. The BMD at the distal radius and calcaneus were measured with dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry, and anthropometric measures were also obtained. PBMD was calculated from the highest mean in each age group. The PBMD at the distal radius was 0.514 ± 0.06 g/cm2 in females and 0.598 ± 0.07 g/cm2 in males. Peak ages for both sexes were the thirties. For the calcaneus, PBMD was 0.509 ± 0.09 g/cm2 in females and 0.629 ± 0.09 g/cm2 in males. Peak ages were the thirties for females and the twenties for males. These results could facilitate international or interracial comparisons and be used as reference data to screen for osteoporosis in Koreans.
KeywordsBone mineral density Calcaneus Distal radius DXA Korean
This study was funded by Ministry of Environment, Ecotechnopia Project. This study was supported by the BK21 Program.
- 1.World Health Organization (1994) Assessment of fracture risk and its application to screening for postmenopausal osteoporosis. WHO, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- 15.Shin MH, Kweon SS, Park KS, Heo H, Kim SJ, Nam HS, Jeong SK, Chung EK, Choi JS (2005) Quantitative ultrasound of the calcaneus in a Korean population: reference data and relationship to bone mineral density determined by peripheral dual X-ray absorptiometry. J Korean Med Sci 20:1011–1016CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Energy. http://tech.mocie.go.kr
- 17.Institute SAS (1999) SAS OnlineDoc, version 8. SAS Institute, CaryGoogle Scholar
- 18.R Development Core Team (2004) R: a language and environmental for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, ViennaGoogle Scholar
- 19.Cheng XG, Yang DZ, Zhou Q, Zhuo TJ, Zhang HC, Xiang J, Wang HF, Ou PZ, Liu JL, Xu L, Huang GY, Huang QR, Barden HS, Weynand LS, Faulkner KG, Meng XW (2007) Age-related bone mineral density, bone loss rate, prevalence of osteoporosis, and reference database of women at multiple centers in China. J Clin Densitom 10:276–284CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Tan LJ, Lei SF, Chen XD, Liu MY, Guo YF, Xu H, Sun X, Jiang C, Xiao SM, Guo JJ, Yang YJ, Deng FY, Wang YB, Li YN, Zhu XZ, Deng HW (2007) Establishment of peak bone mineral density in Southern Chinese males and its comparisons with other males from different regions of China. J Bone Miner Metab 25:114–121CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar