Randomized trial comparing low-dose hormone replacement therapy and HRT plus 1α-OH-vitamin D3 (alfacalcidol) for treatment of postmenopausal bone loss
- 67 Downloads
We conducted a prospective, randomized, multicenter, open-label 2-year trial with 76 postmenopausal women aged ≥60 years with low (T-score less than −1) lumbar bone mineral density (BMD). The hormone replacement therapy (HRT) group received a low dose of conjugated estrogen (CEE) at a dose of 0.31 mg/day ± medroxyprogesterone acetate (MPA) 2.5 mg/day. Group HRT/D received the same dose of HRT together with alfacalcidol in a daily dose of 1.0 µg/day. Changes in lumbar BMD measured by dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) were followed every 6 months for 2 years. The lumbar BMD of group HRT increased 3.37% [95% confidence interval (CI) 1.6%–5.2%], 4.00% (95%CI 1.6%–6.4%), and 2.32% (95%CI −0.7% to 5.3%) at 12, 18, and 24 months, respectively, when the baseline value was taken as 0%. Lumbar BMD of group HRT/D showed a significant increase beyond 6 months. The percent increases for this group at 6, 12, 18, and 24 months were 6.18 (95%CI 1.3%–6.6%), 6.18% (95%CI 3.9%–8.5%), 7.17% (95%CI 4.3%–10.0%), and 8.75% (95%CI 6.0%–11.5%), respectively. In addition, there was a significant difference in the changes of the lumbar BMD between the two groups at 24 months, suggesting that the combination of HRT and alfacalcidol is more effective than HRT alone in terms of the BMD effect. This study is the first prospective trial demonstrating an additive effect of alfacalcidol on lumbar BMD in postmenopausal women receiving low-dose HRT. It suggests that the combination therapy can be considered to be a promising mode of treatment for bone loss after menopause.
Key wordsbone loss low-dose HRT osteoporosis 1α-OH-vitamin D3
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 9.Rossouw, JE Anderson, GL Prentice, RL LaCroix, AZ Kooperberg, C Stefanick, ML Jackson, RD Beresford, SA Howard, BV Johnson, KC Kotchen, JM Ockene, J Group for the Women's Health Initiative Investigators2002Risks and benefits of estrogen plus progestin in healthy postmenopausal women: principal results from the Women's Health Initiative randomized controlled trialJAMA288321333PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Gorai, I, Chaki, O, Taguchi, Y, Nakayama, M, Osada, H, Suzuki, N, Katagiri, N, Misu, Y, Minaguchi, H 1999Early postmenopausal bone loss is prevented by estrogen and partially by 1α-OH-vitamin D3: therapeutic effects of estrogen and/or 1α-OH-vitamin D3Calcif Tissue Int651622PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Shiraki, M, Kushida, K, Fukunaga, M, Kishimoto, H, Taga, M, Nakamura, T, Kaneda, K, Minaguchi, H, Inoue, T, Morii, H, Tomita, A, Yamamoto, K, Nagata, Y, Nakashima, M, Orimo, H 1999A double-masked multicenter comparative study between alendronate and alfacalcidol in Japanese patients with osteoporosis: the Alendronate Phase III Osteoporosis Treatment Research GroupOsteoporos Int10183192PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Komulainen, M, Kroger, H, Tuppurainen, MT, Heikkinen, AM, Alhava, E, Honkanen, R, Jurvelin, J, Saarikoski, S 1999Prevention of femoral and lumbar bone loss with hormone replacement therapy and vitamin D3 in early postmenopausal women: a population-based 5-year randomized trialJ Clin Endocrinol Metab84546552PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Cranney, A Wells, G Willan, A Griffith, L Zytaruk, N Robinson, V Black, D Adachi, J Shea, B Tugwell, P Guyatt, G Osteoporosis Methodology Group and The Osteoporosis Research Advisory Group2002Meta-analyses of therapies for postmenopausal osteoporosis. II. Meta-analysis of alendronate for the treatment of postmenopausal womenEndocr Rev23508516PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Black, DM Greenspan, SL Ensrud, KE Palermo, L McGowan, JA Lang, TF Garnero, P Bouxsein, ML Bilezikian, JP Rosen, CJ PaTH Study Investigators2003The effects of parathyroid hormone and alendronate alone or in combination in postmenopausal osteoporosisN Engl J Med34912071215PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Shiraki, M, Kushida, K, Yamazaki, K, Nagai, T, Inoue, T, Orimo, H 1996Effects of 2 years' treatment of osteoporosis with 1 alpha-hydroxy vitamin D3 on bone mineral density and incidence of fracture: a placebo-controlled, double-blind prospective studyEndocr J43211220Google Scholar