Estimating a non-Gaussian probability density of the rolling motion in irregular beam seas
- 116 Downloads
A methodology for predicting the probability density function of roll motion for irregular beam seas was developed in previous research. That work introduced a non-Gaussian probability density function (PDF), which shows a good agreement with Monte Carlo simulation (MCS) results in comparison with linear theory results. However, if the nonlinear damping coefficient in a system is large, the PDF delivers estimations that do not match the MCS results. The procedure reported herein improves the prediction accuracy using a non-Gaussian PDF that takes a nonlinear damping term into account.
KeywordsIrregular beam seas Non-Gaussian probability density function Nonlinear damping
This work was supported by a Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research from the Japan Society for Promotion of Science (JSPS KAKENHI Grant Number 15H02327). The authors would like to thank Enago (http://http://www.enago.jp) for English language review.
- 1.Belenky VL, Capsizing Probability Comparison A, Method (1993) J Ship Res 37(3):200–207Google Scholar
- 2.Belenky VL (1994) Piecewise linear method for the probabilistic stability assessment for ship in a seaway. In: 5th international conference on stability of ship and ocean vehicle, Melbourne, Vol.5, No. 2, pp. 1–18Google Scholar
- 4.Paroka D, Ohkura Y, Umeda N (2006) Analytical prediction of capsizing probability of a ship in beam wind and waves. J Ship Res 50(2):187–195Google Scholar
- 5.Maeda E, Kubo T, Umeda N (2012) Theoretical methodology for quantifying probability of capsizing for a ship in beam wind and waves and its numerical validation. J Jpn Soc Naval Archit Ocean Eng 15:227–235Google Scholar
- 8.Roberts JB (1982) A stochastic theory for nonlinear ship rolling in irregular seas. J Ship Res 26(4):229–245Google Scholar
- 9.Francescutto A, Naito S (2004) Large amplitude rolling in a realistic sea. Int Shipbuild Progress 51(2/3):221–235Google Scholar
- 12.Dostal L, Kreuzer E, Namachchivaya NS (2012) Non-standard stochastic averaging of large-amplitude ship rolling in random seas. In: Proceeding of the royal society of london a: mathematical, physical and engineering sciences, Vol. 468, pp 4146–4173Google Scholar
- 13.Dostal L, Kreuzer E (2014) Assessment of extreme rolling of ships in random seas. In: ASME 2014 33rd international conference on ocean, offshore and arctic engineering. American Society of Mechanical Engineers, pp V007T12A–VT12AGoogle Scholar
- 23.Kimura K, Takahara K, Yamamoto S (2000) Estimation of non-Gaussian response distribution of a system with nonlinear damping (in Japanese). In: Dynamics and design conferenceGoogle Scholar
- 24.IMO (2008) Explanatory notes to the International Code on Intact Stability. In: International code on intact stability, 2008 (2009 Edition), 2008Google Scholar