Can the usual validation standard series for quantitative methods, ISO 5725, be also applied for qualitative methods?
- 306 Downloads
Repeatability standard deviation, laboratory standard deviation, and reproducibility standard deviation for quantitative methods according to ISO 5725 series were recently proposed to estimate the precision of qualitative measurements, giving a presence/absence response. In this paper, it is shown that for qualitative methods, the reproducibility standard deviation across laboratories does not reflect the performance of the method as suggested. It is demonstrated that the benefit of the respective laboratory standard deviation is very limited. Alternative performance measures are introduced which are based on another approach also directly linked to ISO 5725. Thereby, meaningful information about the precision of qualitative test methods can be achieved.
KeywordsQualitative methods Quantitative methods ISO 5725 Reproducibility standard deviation Repeatability standard deviation Laboratory standard deviation Probability of detection response curve
- 2.Wehling P, LaBudde RA, Brunelle SL, Nelson MT (2011) Probability of Detection (POD) as a statistical model for the validation of qualitative methods. J AOAC Int 94(1):335–347Google Scholar
- 3.ISO 5725-1:2003 (2003): Accuracy (trueness and precision) of measurement methods and results—part 1: general principles and definitionsGoogle Scholar
- 4.ISO 5725-2:2003 (2003) Accuracy (trueness and precision) of measurement methods and results—part 2: basic method for the determination of repeatability and reproducibility of a standard measurement methodGoogle Scholar
- 5.http://quodata.de/web-services.html, as on July 2011
- 8.Schilling P, Powilleit M, Uhlig S (2006) Macrozoobenthos interlaboratory comparison on taxonomical identification and counting of marine invertebrates in artificial sediment samples including testing various statistical methods of data evaluation. Accred Quality Assur 11(8, 9):422–429CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.European Commission (2002) Commission Decision 2002/657/EC of 12 August 2002 implementing Council Directive 96/23/EC concerning the performance of analytical methods and the interpretation of results. Off J Eur Commun L221:8–36Google Scholar