Quality requirements engineering for systems and software architecting: methods, approaches, and tools
- 1.1k Downloads
Requirements engineering and software architecture are quite mature software engineering sub-disciplines, which often seem to be disconnected for many reasons and it is difficult to perceive the impact of functional and non-functional requirements on architecture and to establish appropriate trace links for traceability purposes. In other cases, the estimation of how non-functional requirements, as the quality properties a system should pose, is not perceived useful enough to produce high-quality software. Therefore, in this special issue, we want to highlight the importance and the role of quality requirements for architecting and building complex software systems that in many cases require multidisciplinary engineering techniques, which increases the complexity of the software development process.
KeywordsQuality attributes Software architecture Systems engineering
We would like to thank all the people that contributed to the preparation of this special issue and Professor P. Loucopoulos, as Requirements Engineering Journal co-Editor-in-Chief, for giving us this opportunity. We also give thanks to Professor W. Robinson, co-Editor-in-Chief for his accurate comments and review of this Editorial. Finally, we want to thank the reviewers who contribute with their effort in reviewing the articles of this special issue.
- 1.Alencar FMR, Marín B, Giachetti G, Pastor O, Castro J, Pimentel JH (2009) From i* requirements models to conceptual models of a model driven development process. The practice of enterprise modeling, second IFIP WG 8.1 working conference (PoEM 2009), pp 99–114Google Scholar
- 3.Ali Babar M, Capilla R (2008) Capturing and using quality attributes knowledge in software architecture evaluation process. In: Proceedings of 1st international workshop on managing requirements knowledge (MARK’08). IEEE Computer Society, ACM DL, pp 53–62Google Scholar
- 5.Bass L, Clements P, Kazman R (2003) Software architecture in practice, 2nd edn. Addison Wesley, ReadingGoogle Scholar
- 6.Chauhan MA, Ali Babar M (2011) Migrating service oriented systems to cloud computing: an experience report, the 4th international conference on cloud computingGoogle Scholar
- 7.Chung L, Sampaio do Prado Leite JC (2009) On non-functional requirements in software engineering. Conceptual modelling: foundations and applications 2009:363–379Google Scholar
- 8.España S, Condory-Fernández N, González A, Pastor O (2009) Evaluating the completeness and granularity of functional requirements specifications: a controlled experiment. In: 17th IEEE international requirements engineering conference (RE 2009), IEEE Computer Society, pp 161–170Google Scholar
- 9.Kazman R, Bass L (1994) Toward deriving software architectures from quality attributes. Software Engineering Institute technical report CMU/SEI-94-TR-10Google Scholar
- 10.Laplante P (2009) Requirements engineering for software and systems, 1st edn. CRC Press, RedmondGoogle Scholar
- 11.Paech B, Dutoit A, Kerkow D, von Knethen A (2003) Functional requirements, non-functional requirements, and architecture should not be separated. In: Proceedings of the international workshop on requirements engineering: foundations for software quality. Essen, Germany, September 9–10, 2002. Elsevier BV, Amsterdam, pp 102–107Google Scholar
- 12.Pastor O, Molina JC (2007), Model-driven architecture in practice: a software production environment based on conceptual modeling. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar