Vitex agnus castus for premenstrual syndrome and premenstrual dysphoric disorder: a systematic review
- 1.4k Downloads
The objective of this study was to evaluate whether Vitex agnus castus is a safe and effective treatment for PMS and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) and to discuss the implications of these findings for clinical practice. A systematic review of literature was conducted using PubMed and Scielo databases. The inclusion criteria were randomized controlled trials (RCT) using V. agnus castus in individuals with PMS or PMDD that compared this intervention with placebo or an active comparator and included a description of blinding and dropouts/withdrawals. The search was conducted by two independent investigators who reached consensus on the included trials. A total of eight RCTs were included in this study. Most studies focused on PMS, and the diagnostic criteria of PMS and PMDD changed over the years. Three different preparations of V. agnus castus (VAC) were tested, and there was significant variability in the measurement of treatment outcomes between the studies. Nevertheless, all eight studies were positive for VAC in the treatment of PMS or PMDD and VAC was overall well tolerated. Main limitations were differences in definition of diagnostic criteria, the instruments used as main outcome measures, and different preparations of VAC extracts limit the comparison of results between studies. In conclusion, the RCTs using VAC for treatment of PMS/PMDD suggested that the VAC extract is a safe and efficacious alternative to be considered for the treatment of PMS/PMDD symptoms.
KeywordsVitex agnus castus Chasteberry Premenstrual syndrome Premenstrual dysphoric disorder Treatment
This study was not funded
Compliance with ethical standards
This study did not involved research with human beings and did not require ethical approval and informed consent.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Atmaca M1, Kumru S, Tezcan E (2003) Fluoxetine versus Vitex agnus castus extract in the treatment of premenstrual dysphoric disorder. Hum Psychopharmacol 18(3):191–195Google Scholar
- Ciotta L1, Pagano I, Stracquadanio M, Di Leo S, Andò A, Formuso C (2011) Psychic aspects of the premenstrual dysphoric disorders. New therapeutic strategies: our experience with Vitex agnus castus. Minerva Ginecol 63:237–245Google Scholar
- Demarque R, Rennó J Jr, Ribeiro HL et al (2013) Premenstrual dysphoric disorder: brief review. Rev Debates em Psiquiatr 5:6–11Google Scholar
- He Z, Chen R, Zhou Y, Geng L, Zhang Z, Chen S, Yao Y, Lu J, Lin S (2009) Treatment for premenstrual syndrome with Vitex agnus castus: a prospective, randomized, multi-center placebo controlled study in China. Maturitas 63(1):99–103Google Scholar
- Lauritzen C, Reuter HD, Repges R, Böhnert KJ, Schmidt U (1997) Treatment of premenstrual tension syndrome with Vitex agnus castus controlled, double-blind study versus pyridoxine. Phytomedicine 4(3):183–9Google Scholar
- Lopez LM, A a K, Helmerhorst FM (2009) Oral contraceptives containing drospirenone for premenstrual syndrome. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews: 13 reviews. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009(2)Google Scholar
- Ma L, Lin S, Chen R, Wang X (2010a) Treatment of moderate to severe premenstrual syndrome with Vitex agnus castus (BNO 1095) in Chinese women. Gynecol Endocrinol 26(8):612–616Google Scholar
- Ma L, Lin S, Chen R, Zhang Y, Chen F, Wang X (2010b) Evaluating therapeutic effect in symptoms of moderateto-severe premenstrual syndrome with Vitexagnus castus (BNO 1095) in Chinese women. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 50(2):189–193Google Scholar
- Marjoribanks J, Brown J, O’Brien PMS, Wyatt K (2013) Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors for premenstrual syndrome. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 6:CD001396Google Scholar
- Melzer J, Deter H-C, Uehleke B (2013) CAM in psychiatryGoogle Scholar
- Schellenberg R, Zimmermann C, Drewe J, Hoexter G, Zahner C (2012) Dose-dependent efficacy of the Vitex agnus castus extract Ze 440 in patients suffering from premenstrual syndrome. Phytomedicine 19(14):1325–1331Google Scholar
- Zamani M1, Neghab N, Torabian S (2012) Therapeutic effect of Vitex agnus castus in patients with premenstrual syndrome. Acta Med Iran 50(2):101–6Google Scholar