Probing and tracking organelles in living plant cells
- 610 Downloads
Intracellular organelle movements and positioning play pivotal roles in enabling plants to proliferate life efficiently and to survive diverse environmental stresses. The elaborate dissection of organelle dynamics and their underlying mechanisms (e.g., the role of the cytoskeleton in organelle movements) largely depends on the advancement and efficiency of organelle tracking systems. Here, we provide an overview of some recently developed tools for labeling and tracking organelle dynamics in living plant cells.
KeywordsOrganelle dynamics Fluorescent labeling Microscopy Organelle movement Tracking
This work was supported by grants from the Natural Science Foundation of China (30730009, 31000092), Ministry of Agriculture of China (2008ZX08002-003, 2009ZX08009-011B and 2009ZX08009-095B), CAS/SAFEA International Partnership Program for Creative Research Teams (20090491019), and Ministry of Science and Technology of China (2011CB809103).
- Fitzgibbon J, Bell K, King E, Oparka K (2010) Super-resolution imaging of plasmodesmata using three-dimensional structured illumination microscopy. Plant Physiol 153:1453–1463Google Scholar
- Li XJ, Wang XH, Yang Y, Li RL, He QH, Fang XH, Luu D-T, Maurel C, Lin JX (2011) Single-molecule analysis of PIP2;1 dynamics and partitioning reveals multiple modes of Arabidopsis plasma membrane aquaporin regulation. Plant CellGoogle Scholar
- Lippincott-Schwartz J, Altan-Bonnet N, Patterson GH (2003) Photobleaching and photoactivation: following protein dynamics in living cells. Nat Cell Biol, Suppl, pp S7–S14Google Scholar
- Mathur J, Radhamony R, Sinclair AM, Donoso A, Dunn N, Roach E, Radford D, Mohaghegh M, Logan DC, Kokolic K, Mathur N. (2010) mEosFP-based green-to-red photoconvertible subcellular probes for plants. Plant Physiol 154:1573–1587Google Scholar
- Miyawaki A, Sawano A, Kogure T (2003) Lighting up cells: labelling proteins with fluorophores. Nat Cell Biol, Supp l, pp S1–S7Google Scholar
- Nebenführ A (2007) Organelle dynamics during cell division. In: Plant Cell Monogr (9) D.P.S. Verma and Z. Hong: Cell Division Control in Plants. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 195–206Google Scholar
- Reck-Peterson SL, Yildiz A, Carter AP, Gennerich A, Zhang N, Vale RD (2006) Single-molecule analysis of dynein processivity and stepping behavior. Cell 126:335–348Google Scholar
- Voigt B, Timmers AC, Šamaj J, Hlavacka A, Ueda T, Preuss M, Nielsen E, Mathur J, Emans N, Stenmark H, Nakano A, Baluška F, Menzel D (2005) Actin-based motility of endosomes is linked to the polar tip growth of root hairs. Eur J Cell Biol 84:609–621Google Scholar