Influence of humidity on creep response of sandwich beam with a viscoelastic soft core
- 246 Downloads
Polymer foam cored sandwich beams are widely used in load-bearing components due to their high strength to weight ratio. To improve the reliability in using sandwich beams, it is essential to understand their long-term creep response in terms of variation of stresses and deformations with time under external mechanical and environmental stimuli. This paper presents an analytical model for investigating the creep response of sandwich beams made with a viscoelastic soft core, including the effect of the variable ambient humidity under the sustained load and its influence on the creep behavior. The model is based on a high-order viscoelastic structural modeling. The soft core is modeled as a viscoelastic material using differential-type constitutive relations that are based on the linear Boltzman’s principle of superposition and accounting for the deformability of the core in shear and through its thickness. Several numerical examples are presented in order to show the capability of the model and to investigate the effect of moisture on the creep behavior of sandwich beams. Finite element simulations of the creep response of sandwich beams are also performed using ABAQUS software to validate the proposed theoretical model. The results show the concentrations of shear and transverse normal stresses near the edges and their variation in time and with the change of humidity.
KeywordsAxial Force Creep Behavior Soft Core Sandwich Panel Face Sheet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Adam C.: Moderately large vibrations of imperfect elastic-plastic composite beams with thick layers. Int. J. Acoust. Vib. 7(1), 11–20 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Bazant Z.P., Wu S.T.: Rate-Type creep law of aging concrete based on maxwell chain. Mater. Struct. 7(1), 45–60 (1974)Google Scholar
- 11.Hamed, E.: Creep response of sandwich beams with a viscoelastic core and composite laminates. In: 14th European Conference on Composite Materials, Paper ID: 645-ECCM14, 7–10 June 2010. Budapest, Hungary (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Hamed, E., Ramezani, M.: Effect of boundary conditions on the creep response of sandwich beams with a viscoelastic soft core. In: Australasian Conference on the Mechanics of Structures and Materials (ACMSM22), 11–14 December 2012, Sydney, Australia (2012)Google Scholar
- 19.Ramezani, M., Hamed, E.: On the influence of temperature on the creep response of sandwich beams with a viscoelastic soft core. In: 6th International Composites Conference (ACUN-6), 14–16 November 2012, Melbourne, Australia (2012)Google Scholar