Effect of long undulated bottoms on thin gravity-driven films
- First Online:
- 137 Downloads
We carry out a perturbation analysis for steady gravity-driven film flow over undulations of moderate steepness that are long compared to the film thickness and study the linear stability of the flow in the framework of Floquet analysis. The effect of geometric nonlinearities on the instability becomes relevant for moderate bottom variations. We find that the critical Reynolds number for the onset of surface waves is higher than that for a flat bottom. At higher inclination angles, the theoretical results are in good quantitative agreement with experiment. At inclination angles where the flat part of the undulation is close to being horizontal, the basic solution for the steady flow fails to describe the flow in the flat part, and the linear stability analysis overestimates the critical Reynolds number.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kistler S. F., Schweizer P. M. (eds.): Liquid film coating. London: Chapman & Hall 1997.Google Scholar
- Webb, R. L. 1994Principles of enhanced heat transferWileyNew YorkGoogle Scholar
- Alekseenko, S. V., Ye Nakoryakov, V. , Pokusaev, B. G. 1994Wave flow of liquid filmsBegell HouseNew YorkGoogle Scholar
- Pozrikidis, C. 1988The flow of a liquid film along a periodic wallJ. Fluid Mech.188275300Google Scholar
- Bontozoglou, V. 2000Laminar film flow along a periodic wallCMES1133142Google Scholar
- Wierschem, A., Scholle, M., Aksel, N. 2002Comparison of different theoretical approaches to experiments on film flow down an inclined wavy channelExp. Fluids33429442Google Scholar
- Chang, H.-C., Demekhin, E. A. 2002Complex wave dynamics on thin filmsElsevierAmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- Yih, C. S. 1963Stability of liquid flow down an inclined planePhys. Fluids6321334Google Scholar
- Wierschem, A., Aksel, N. 2003Instability of a liquid film flowing down an inclined wavy planePhysica D186221237Google Scholar
- Schmid, P. J., Henningson, D. S. 2001Stability and transition in shear flowsSpringerNew YorkGoogle Scholar
- Liu, J., Paul, J. D., Gollub, J. P. 1993Measurements of the primary instabilities of film flowsJ. Fluid Mech.25069101Google Scholar