Pairwise energy effect of cyclic conjugation in benzo-annelated perylenes
- 67 Downloads
Previous analysis of cyclic conjugation in benzo-annelated perylenes has revealed that annelation of a benzene ring in the angular position increases the extent of cyclic conjugation in the central ring whereas annelation of a benzene ring in the linear position reduces it. We now present a general method for assessing the effect of a ring on the energy effect of cyclic conjugation in another ring. The respective quantity, referred to as the pairwise energy effect, is used to rationalize specific modes of cyclic conjugation in benzo-annelated perylenes.
KeywordsCyclic conjugation Energy effect Pairwise energy effect Perylene Benzo-annelated perylenes
S.R. and I.G. were supported by the Serbian Ministry of Science, through Grant no. 144015G. W.L. was supported by the Austrian Science Fund (FWF) (Project 19335-N17).
- 3.Gutman I, Cyvin SJ (1989) Introduction to the theory of benzenoid hydrocarbons. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 9.Radenković S, Linert W, Gutman I, Jeremić S (2009) Indian J Chem 48A:1657Google Scholar
- 10.Gutman I (2010) J Math Chem. doi: 10.1007/s10910-009-9655-9
- 13.Bosanac S, Gutman I (1977) Z Naturforsch A 32:10Google Scholar
- 19.Coulson CA, Jacobs J (1949) J Am Chem Soc 2805Google Scholar