Analysis of bovine leukemia virus integration sites in cattle under 3 years old with enzootic bovine leukosis
- 100 Downloads
In the present study, we analyzed bovine leukemia virus (BLV) integration sites in under 3 years old with enzootic bovine leukosis (EBL) cattle and compared these to 30 cattle over 3 years old with EBL. BLV proviruses were integrated near CpG islands and into long interspersed nuclear elements more frequently in EBL cattle under 3 years old than in those over 3 years old. These results suggest that cattle under 3 years old with EBL have different BLV provirus integration sites from those of cattle over 3 years old with EBL, and the BLV provirus integration site may represent one factor contributing to early onset of EBL.
We thank the veterinarians of the Iwate and Tokachi Agriculture Mutual Aid Association and Tokachi and Hayakita Meat Hygiene Inspection Centers for sampling. This work was supported by JSPS KAKENHI grant number 16K15044.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.
No ethical approval was necessary, as the present study had no human participants and the authors did not perform any of the procedures on the animals.
- 4.Nishimori A, Konnai S, Okagawa T, Maekawa N, Goto S, Ikebuchi R, Nakahara A, Chiba Y, Ikeda M, Murata S, Ohashi K (2017) Identification of an atypical enzootic bovine leukosis in Japan by using a novel classification of bovine leukemia based on immunophenotypic analysis. Clin Vac Immunol 24:e00067-17CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Maezawa M, Watanabe K, Horiuchi N, Matsumoto K, Kobayashi Y, Inokuma H (2018) A clinical case of enzootic bovine leucosis in a 13-month-old Holstein heifer. Jpn J Vet Res 66:150–209Google Scholar
- 15.Sajiki Y, Konnai S, Nishimori A, Okagawa T, Maekawa N, Goto S, Nagano M, Kohara J, Kitano N, Takahashi T, Takahashi T, Mekata H, Horii Y, Murata S, Ohashi K (2017) Intrauterine infection with bovine leukemia virus in pregnant dam with high viral load. J Vet Med Sci 79:2036–2039CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Finnegan DJ (2012) Retrotransposons. Curr Biolo 22:435–437Google Scholar
- 29.Igarashi S, Suzuki H, Niinuma T, Shimizu H, Nojima M, Iwaki H, Nobuoka T, Nishida T, Miyazaki Y, Takamaru H, Yamamoto E, Yamamoto H, Tokino T, Hasegawa T, Hirata K, Imai K, Toyota M, Shinomura Y (2010) A novel correlation between LINE-1 hypomethylation and the malignancy of gastrointestinal stromal tumor. Clin Cancer Res 16:5114–5123CrossRefGoogle Scholar