Occurrence of tomato leaf curl Bangladesh virus and associated subviral DNA molecules in papaya in Bangladesh: molecular detection and characterization
- 43 Downloads
Forty-five papaya samples showing severe leaf curl symptoms were tested by PCR with a degenerate primer set for virus species in the genus Begomovirus. Of these, 29 were positive for tomato leaf curl Bangladesh virus (ToLCBV). The complete genome sequences of ToLCBV (GenBank accession no. MH380003) and its associated tomato leaf curl betasatellite (ToLCB) (MH397223) from papaya isolate Gaz17-Pap were determined and characterized. Defective betasatellites were found in ToLCBV-positive papaya isolates Gaz19-Pap, Gaz20-Pap and Gaz21-Pap. This study confirmed that papaya is a host of ToLCBV, ToLCB, and other defective and recombinant DNA satellites in Bangladesh.
This work was supported by the United States Agency for International Development (Feed the Future initiative–CGIAR fund- BFS-G-1100002 and the predecessor fund of the Food Security and Crisis Mitigation II grant- EEM-G-0004-00013), the USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture, Hatch HAW09025-H (1001478) and the USDA-Agricultural Research Service (58-5320-4-012).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare there are no conflicts of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human or animal subjects performed by the any of the authors.
- 8.Cai JH, Wang XY, Li GX, Qin BX, Zhou XP (2005) Genomic organization of Papaya leaf curl China virus isolated from Nanning. Acta Phytopathol Sin 35:446–450Google Scholar
- 14.Hamim I, Borth WB, Melzer MJ, Gonsalves D, Suzuki J, Wall MM, Hu JS (2018) Begomoviruses represent an emerging threat to the papaya industry in Bangladesh. In: 30th annual student research symposium, CTAHR, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa, USAGoogle Scholar
- 15.Usharani TR, Laxmi V, Jalali S, Krishna Reddy M (2013) Duplex PCR to detect both Papaya ring spot virus and Papaya leaf curl virus simultaneously from naturally infected papaya (Carica papaya L.). Indian J Biotechnol 12:269–272Google Scholar
- 19.Kearse M, Moir R, Wilson A, Stones-Havas S, Cheung M, Sturrock S, Buxton S, Cooper A, Markowitz S, Duran C, Thierer T, Ashton B, Mentjies P, Drummond A (2012) Geneious Basic: an integrated and extendable desktop software platform for the organization and analysis of sequence data. Bioinformatics 28:1647–1649CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Brown JK, Zerbini FM, Navas-Castillo J, Moriones E, Ramos-Sobrinho R, Silva JF, Fiallo-Olivé E, Briddon RW, Hernández-Zepeda C, Idris A, Malathi VG, Martin DP, Rivera-Bustamante R, Ueda S, Varsani A (2015) Revision of Begomovirus taxonomy based on pairwise sequence comparisons. Arch Virol 160:1593–1619CrossRefGoogle Scholar