Detection and genome characterization of a novel member of the genus Polerovirus from zucchini (Cucurbita pepo) in China
- 83 Downloads
Here, we report a novel member of the genus Polerovirus, zucchini aphid-borne yellows virus (ZABYV), which was identified in zucchini grown for seed production in the Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, China. The complete nucleotide sequence of the ZABYV genome was determined and found to be 5,792 nucleotides in length, and like those of other poleroviruses, to contain seven open reading frames (ORFs). Multiple sequence alignments and phylogenetic analysis indicated that ZABYV is a new member of the genus Polerovirus, although several regions of its genome are closely related to chickpea chlorotic stunt virus (CpCSV). Further comparative analysis suggested that ZABYV originated from a recombination event between CpCSV and another unknown virus in the genus Polerovirus.
We would like to thank Dr. Xuejun Zhang for assistance with the collection of zucchini samples, and Yang Wu and Suyun Qiao for technical assistance. This work was supported by Modern Agro-Industry Technology Research System (CARS-26-13), the Agricultural Science and Technology Innovation Program (CAAS-ASTIP-2015-ZFRI) and the Basic and Advanced Technology Program of Henan Province (152300410138).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 1.Ibaba JD, Laing MD, Gubba A (2016) Pepo aphid-borne yellows virus: a new species in the genus Polerovirus. Virus Genes 53:1–3Google Scholar
- 2.King AMQ, Adams MJ, Carstens EB, Lefkowitz EJ (2011) Virus taxonomy: Ninth report of the international committee on taxonomy of viruse. Elsevier Academic, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- 7.Montero-Pau J, Blanca J, Bombarely A, Ziarsolo P, Esteras C, Martí-Gómez C, Ferriol M, Gómez P, Jamilena M, Mueller L (2018) De novo assembly of the zucchini genome reveals a whole-genome duplication associated with the origin of the Cucurbita genus. Plant Biotechnol J 16:1161–1171CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Peng B, Liu LM, Liu SS, Zhang YH, Ji YL, Wu Y, Zhang XJ, Gu QS (2017) The genome of Cucurbit chlorotic yellows virus from Xinjiang autonomous region of China. Acta Phytopathol Sin 47:730–737Google Scholar
- 9.Ren C, Hao X, Du Y, Xiang B (2016) Molecular detection of seed zucchini virus disease in Shihezi and Xinhu region in Xinjiang. Northern Hort 40:102–106Google Scholar
- 11.Wu Y, Li J, Peng B, Gu Q (2017) Detection of virus infecting watermelon and melon in Henan, Gansu provinces and Xinjiang Autonomous Region. China Veg 8:31–35Google Scholar