First detection and genotypic analysis of goat enzootic nasal tumor virus 2 in Chongqing, China
Enzootic nasal adenocarcinoma (ENA) of goats, characterized by transformation of epithelial cells of the ethmoid turbinates, is caused by enzootic nasal tumor virus 2 (ENTV-2). ENTV-2 belongs to the genus Betaretrovirus and has extended its distribution globally with a high prevalence; however, the genetic diversity and genotypic distribution for ENTV-2 have not been analyzed systematically due to the limited availability of sequence data. In this study, an infection by ENTV-2 was detected by RT-PCR in Chongqing in July 2018, and the complete sequence of one strain (CQ1) was determined. Phylogenetic analysis indicated a high degree of genetic heterogeneity among ENTV-2 sequences, with the existence of two main lineages. Lineage 1 and 2 were composed of ENTV-2 from China and the UK, respectively. Although CQ1 was closely related to recent ENTV-2 strains collected in the neighboring provinces of Chongqing (Shaanxi and Sichuan), it formed a separate sublineage of lineage 1 (sublineage 1.3). This report will enhance our understanding of the epidemiology of ENTV-2 in China.
Keywords:Enzootic nasal tumor virus 2 Virus detection Chongqing Genotypic analysis Lineages
This work was supported by the National Key Research and Development Program of China (2018YFD0500500), the Chongqing Science & Technology Commission (cstc2018jscx-msybX0302, cstc2018jscx-msybX0221), the earmarked fund for China Agriculture Research System (CARS-37), the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (XDJK2017A003, SWU118072), and the Innovation Team Building Program in Chongqing Universities (CXTDG201602004).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that there are no conflicts of interest.
- 8.Lin X, Hao XP, Zhao ZH, Yu WS, Gu YF, Bao GP (1995) Pathological study of goat nasal adenoma and adenocarcinoma. Acta Vet Zootechn Sin 5:456–461 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 9.Lei HY, Su JM, Ning LZ, Kang Y, Chen KY, Zeng DN (2006) Investigation and diagnosis of an enzootic nasal tumor of goat. Prog Vet Med 27:112–114 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 10.Liu F, Feng YC, Yan QG, Han GQ (2011) Diagnosis of an enzootic nasal tumor of goat in Sichuan. Anim Husban Vet Med 43:83–86 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 12.Jiang JX, Lin YS, Jiang B, Mao KM, You W, Zhang JP, Hu QL (2017) Molecular epidemiology of enzootic nasal tumor virus on goats in Fujian. J FJ Agri Sci 32:837–841 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 13.Hou HY, Zhu DJ, Zhang DJ, Hu XM, Zhao RH, Dai Y (2018) Cloning and analysis of Gag gene of enzootic nasal tumor virus in goats. Chin Herb Sci 2:53–55 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 14.Xu G, Xian SM, Zeng ZY, Liang HY, Wang B, Huang T, Tang DY (2018) Diagnosis of a goat intranasal tumor. Chin Herb Sci 2:75–77 (in Chinese) Google Scholar