Complete genome sequence of a novel negevirus isolated from Culex tritaeniorhynchus in China
- 67 Downloads
A novel negevirus, tentatively named Manglie virus (MaV), was isolated from Culex tritaeniorhynchus from the village of Manglie, Yunnan, China, in August 2011. It was identified by high-throughput sequencing of cell culture supernatants, and the complete genome was sequenced using an Illumina MiSeq sequencer. The complete MaV genome comprised 9,218 nt encoding three hypothetical proteins and had a poly(A) tail. BLASTn analysis showed that the genome had the greatest similarity to Ngewotan virus strain Nepal22, with query coverage of 100% and 79% identity. Genomic and phylogenetic analyses demonstrated that MaV should be considered a novel negevirus.
The authors would like to thank Guangqian Pei, Feiyang Zhao, and Manli Li for their help during this work.
This research was supported by grants from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 81273138 and No. 81572045) and the Yunnan Health Training Project of High-Level Talents (grant numbers D-201604).
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 1.Vasilakis N, Forrester NL, Palacios G, Nasar F, Savji N, Rossi SL, Guzman H, Wood TG, Popov V, Gorchakov R, Gonzalez AV, Haddow AD, Watts DM, da Rosa AP, Weaver SC, Lipkin WI, Tesh RB (2013) Negevirus: a proposed new taxon of insect-specific viruses with wide geographic distribution. J Virol 87(5):2475–2488. https://doi.org/10.1128/JVI.00776-12 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 2.Ferreira DD, Cook S, Lopes Â, de Matos AP, Esteves A, Abecasis A, de Almeida AP, Piedade J, Parreira R (2013) Characterization of an insect-specific flavivirus (OCFVPT) co-isolated from Ochlerotatus caspius collected in southern Portugal along with a putative new Negev-like virus. Virus Genes 47(3):532–545. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11262-013-0960-9 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Aziz RK, Bartels D, Best AA, DeJongh M, Disz T, Edwards RA, Formsma K, Gerdes S, Glass EM, Kubal M, Meyer F, Olsen GJ, Olson R, Osterman AL, Overbeek RA, McNeil LK, Paarmann D, Paczian T, Parrello B, Pusch GD, Reich C, Stevens R, Vassieva O, Vonstein V, Wilke A, Zagnitko O (2008) The RAST Server: rapid annotations using subsystems technology. BMC Genom 9:75. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2164-9-75 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Marchler-Bauer A, Anderson JB, Chitsaz F, Derbyshire MK, De Weese-Scott C, Fong JH, Geer LY, Geer RC, Gonzales NR, Gwadz M, He S, Hurwitz DI, Jackson JD, Ke Z, Lanczycki CJ, Liebert CA, Liu C, Lu F, Lu S, Marchler GH, Mullokandov M, Song JS, Tasneem A, Thanki N, Yamashita RA, Zhang D, Zhang N, Bryant SH (2009) CDD: specific functional annotation with the Conserved Domain Database. Nucleic Acids Res 37(Database issue):D205–D210. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gkn845 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Auguste AJ, Carrington CV, Forrester NL, Popov VL, Guzman H, Widen SG, Wood TG, Weaver SC, Tesh RB (2014) Characterization of a novel Negevirus and a novel Bunyavirus isolated from Culex (Culex) declarator mosquitoes in Trinidad. J Gen Virol 95(Pt 2):481–485. https://doi.org/10.1099/vir.0.058412-0 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Carapeta S, do Bem B, McGuinness J, Esteves A, Abecasis A, Lopes A, de Matos AP, Piedade J, de Almeida AP, Parreira R (2015) Negeviruses found in multiple species of mosquitoes from southern Portugal: Isolation, genetic diversity, and replication in insect cell culture. Virology 483:318–328. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.virol.2015.04.021 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Nabeshima T, Inoue S, Okamoto K, Posadas-Herrera G, Yu F, Uchida L, Ichinose A, Sakaguchi M, Sunahara T, Buerano CC, Tadena FP, Orbita IB, Natividad FF, Morita K (2014) Tanay virus, a new species of virus isolated from mosquitoes in the Philippines. J Gen Virol 95(Pt 6):1390–1395. https://doi.org/10.1099/vir.0.061887-0 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar